• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed mum with 4 week old baby. Please help.

Newbie here :(
My name is Erika, 24 years old and gave
Birth to a sweet baby girl only a month ago.

I spent nov 26-29th in hospital when
I have birth to my little girl. I went in to get
Induced on the 26th delivered the 27th almost
And was home by the 29th.

Figured my issues going to the bathroom
Was related to having a baby, I contiuned
To take stool softness everyday after birth
Like I was told until it was easy for me to
Go to the bathroom.

Week after birth- not feeling like myself,
Hard time getting around, no bathroom
Feeling ill
I just think its postbaby issues. New mom

Another week goes by now, I'm hardly able to
Get out of the bed running the the bathroom
Pure liquid, then comes the blood all the blood

Go to the hospital, they send me home with
Hemroids !!!!!
Two days later I'm dying and they finally
Admitted me. I was given a scope the next
Morning and diagnosed with crohns two days later.
I have spent the past two weeks in the hospital.
Worst pain of my life and now I'm home.

This has been the hardest thing in my life
My baby was a month old on Christmas and
I've already been in the hospital away from her for two
Weeks and was sick a week before that
And now I'm home and still can't take
Care of her the way I want to.
I'm trapped in my own body.

My husband also had to leave for work
On dec 18th and won't be back till jan 7th

This has been all so crazy

In laws have had to step in and take care
Of my newborn while I was in hospital
And her dad was at work

Now I'm home with my baby and my GRANDPARENTS
Are here taking care of us till husband is home.

How much longer before I start to feel
Better? It still hurts
And now I'm terrified of having a
Hard stool because of the pain it is just
To barley pass something the size of a quarter
I hate the pressure I feel all the time
And the fact that I still just want to lay
In the bed Nd that's all.
I need diet advice to help just keep smooth and soft till I heal
I feel like I'm never gonna heal if I just keep hurting myself every time I use the bathroom

I just want to be able to walk around
Take care of my baby and live life.

What if I just drank ensure until I was better
And stayed on liquid diet? Is that bad
Help help help anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Erika
This is pretty new to me also I've just joined. My first attack with crohn's was the worst. I don't know for some reason the disease announces it's presence so harshly.

My heart goes out to you, what a tough time your having. This should be the happiest time in the world for you right now. :(
I've been advised on the diet front by another member to avoid greasy food, high fiber, beans, veg, coffee, alcohol

I've heard sometimes liquid diet is best when symptoms are so severe. I'm not familiar with ensure so can't advise there but i'm sure other forum members have. Post a thread asking about it.

Are you on any medication yet? :ghug:

Catherine

Yes, can a do a diet of ensure only. There are also other more broken down formula you can use. Ensure or similar used a lot treat children/teenagers when the are first dx.

Paging a couple mum for you. Brian'smom her ds is currently doing en. Tesscorm her ds has previous done en.

Hi Erika
Sorry to hear you are having such a tough go of it. How are the your. Doctors treating your crohn's and what have they told you about your diet?

I'm in so much pain still and can't get out
Of bed, today will be second third day home
Should I admit myself back to the hospital ??

I just don't understand if i need to suck it up
And this is how it is and wait a few days or go back
To hospital till I'm not hurting

"I'm in so much pain still and can't get out Of bed"

I certainly would go back this is nothing to mess around with if the pain is so bad you can't get out of bed.

"Asacol is approved for use in mild to moderate Ulcerative Colitis. Its use in Crohn's Disease is "off label" and efficacy has not been proven. It is thought that mesalamine acts topically and as Crohn's Disease is transmural, it may not be treating the full extent of the disease." from this page : http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Asacol[hide] - [top]

hope you are feeling better soon.

They've got to give something else to help with symptons, I would go back to the hospital. Donjh is right this is nothing to mess around with.
When I was seriously cramping. I was prescribed Buscopan, it helped relieve painful spasms.
I would be miserable without them. Hope this helps x

My son was having a terrible time too. Pain when going to the bathroom which resulted in vomiting. He became very dehydrated. He spent 4 days in the hospital (dec 9-12th) They started him on zero anything...just IV TPN. Then after 24 hours started him on EN very slowly (20 ml per hour along with the TPN). They did this for 12 hours. Then they gradually turned up the rate. The top was 66 ml per hour. Now he is on that 24/7. He has to drink 20 ounces of liquid (water or Gatorade) a day. This liquid diet has been helping him alot. He is now stooling with no pain. He misses food...but does not miss the miserable way he felt before...so this has been his motivation. I was surprised how quickly he responded. I guess the bowel rest is just what he needed. If you are going to drink them...just see how much at each time. I'm not familiar with this protocol, I just know that they wanted the food to go in very slowly for my son.

My symptoms began in my pregnancy with my third child. After his birth, I too flared and bled and cramped terribly. Your body is in desperate need of iron...you just lost a tremendous amount in childbirth as well as from the flare. Ensure is a decent start, but it is made from milk and may aggravate your symptoms. Speak to your doctor about managing your nutrition and your pain and energy levels...you are a mother now and lying around waiting for things to get better is simply not an option. Sometimes, the squeaky wheel is the one that gets oil...be assertive with your medical professionals and they will do more to help you! Best of luck and health so that you may enjoy your daughter!

Mialax is good for keeping stools soft. Ensure is a good supplement. You need to be sure to drink enough cans each day to get adequate nutrition. you need the more nutrition than normal so your body can heal from both childbirth and the flare. You can sip the cans slowly all day long. I'd see a doc asap.

Maybe you need Prednisone through an IV at the hospital,it helps much faster.Or,I was thinking maybe you have a fistula if it hurts to go to the bathroom,but if it hurts so much you can't even get out of bed, you need more help.

my little penguin

Staff member
hugs
Give your self time- It takes a while.
Think weeks to months not days.
Just take it one day at a time.

I know my son was placed on pentasa (similar to asacol) when he was first dx.
It did nothing for him at all.
He needed something more.