• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feeling Hopeless

Hi All,

My name is Sonya and i have Crohns Disease. I was diagnosed in 2007 and it's been an uphill battle since.

It started with severe abdominal and joint pain and then i developed fistulizing Crohns. I thought the abdominal pain was the worst but i quickly realized the fistula/abscess issues were much worse and much more embarrassing.
The fistula/abscess were treated with Cipro & Flagyl for years. I would take the meds as soon as i felt the abscess growing and it would usually clear it up.
Unfortunately, my body became resistant to Cipro and my last abscess turned into a nightmare.

On Nov 29th, 2013 I had a parianal abscess (the size of a tennis ball) drained in surgery. The wound was 7.5cm deep and the pain was horrible. I had home care for the first three weeks to change the packing every day (worst pain i've ever felt - and as a Crohns sufferer, you know that means a lot)
Anyway, it's been over a month now and i've returned to work and going to the clinics every other day to get the packing changed. I feel like my life is consumed by this.
In 6 weeks, the wound has only healed 2.5cm :(
On Christmas Eve, the nurse told me the discharge looked infected and that i should be on antibiotics. I've been on antibiotics (cephalaxin & Flagyl) for 9 days now and it doesn't seem to be correcting the problem or helping the wound heal faster.
This is my first surgery and i'm so scared that it's never going to heal.
I feel so alone even though i have great friends and a very supportive family.
I just don't feel anyone truly understands so i thought i'd try this out.

- Sonya

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello Sonya and welcome to the forum

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. Personally I don't have experience with abscesses, but there are many forum members that do, and im sure someone with more experience will be along shortly.

I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone, we all get it and we are all here for you, you don't need to be embarrassed with us, we've heard /seen /felt it all before and we will do everything we can to support you with anything you need.

thanks Nicola.
i'm just having a really rough time right now and it's nice to know that there are people like you that get it.

I can relate. Never had a fistula get that large before treatment, but even marble size can bring you down. I found antibiotics help keep them under control but only infusion gets rid of them completely for me. Because of location they take a long time to heal and are very painful. Hang in there and feel free to vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, fast question?? Did they give you a sitz bath for once packing has been completed? You can ask your Dr.about one ~ also ask for a peri bottle (it helps to gently clean the area).
I know what you mean about the pain, it can be so awful depending on the location. Each can differ so much.

Off the beaten path: as crazy as this might sound I had success with the healing ~ and was just a short time from needing the area cored. (Ouch) I already know this sounds nuts ~ I tried organic barley green powder mixed with grape juice 2x a day (tiny shot glass size). It took the inflammation down, the area started to heal and changed within a matter of 7-10 days. I understand if it is something you would not be interested in. I do not sell the product. My CRS was surprised at how well and fast I started healing when I took it. Please ask your Dr. if you could try it too.

I hope you start feeling some relief soon. I know how difficult they are ~ my thoughts are with you for a fast recovery. Much peace.