• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eye Inflammation - Uevitis?

Anybody ever had eye inflammation of any kind while having a flare of IBD?

I have Uevitis, which is an inflammation of the iris. It is very painful, red, swollen, watery, blurred vision (REALLY bad vision) and sensative to light.

Fortunately I finally got on some steroid drops and that gets rid of the pain but it takes up to 6 weeks for it to go away. However, at the same time I am also having what I suspect is a flare (of Crohn's or Colitis I am not sure, I have actually never had a flare before). Diarrhea 3x a day, lots of urgency and discomfort.

I have only been tested once for IBD and it was with the Prometheus test which came positive for Crohn's. But the doctor said it could one day be Crohn's and another Colitis. I had a colonoscopy which had a little inflammation but hardly any...

So maybe I am experiencing my first flare up of whatever IBD I have? Who knows. Share your eye experiences!

afidz

Super Moderator
I had a never ending case of Uvetis last spring. It took a long time to clear up, and I suspect there is permanent damage to my eye because my vision is worse now. My doctor told me that I will probably always have problems with this, and when I start to notice it happening to go in right away so it can be treated.

afidz

Super Moderator
With the steroid drops, it can distort your vision, it did get better after I was off of the steroid drops for a while. My vision isn't horrible now, I had trouble seeing before I got uvetis, but I definitely notice it is harder to see than it was before.

Hmm, ok. My doctor said the same thing about the pupil dilating drops that I have to take to keep my pupil dilated. Time will tell I suppose!

afidz

Super Moderator
yea, the dialting drops distort your vision as well, but they are important to heal properly and avoid damage to the eye. It keeps your eye at a relaxed state and it can heal quicker. you are less likely to develop scar tissue with it. Scar tissue damage is irreversible

Yeah, thanks for your info! Hopefully this will clear up and my vision will be better after another month. I'm making sure to take all my drops. Sometimes I even notice a weird taste in my mouth after the eye drop (I think it's maybe some of it running through my sinus cavity as I tilt my head back).

I'm also experiencing what I think is my first flare (though it's minor compared to what I know people have), and it doesn't help the fact that I am currently overseas away from my American doctor... I've lost about 4 pounds over 2 weeks (I only weighed 110 to begin with). So I may be heading back home.

I also have joint paint, and lately some very bad neck pain and muscle pain. It's insane what other manifestations IBD seems to have!

I've had Crohn's colitis related uveitis a few time - always initiated by a bowel flare! My advice is be obsessional about the pred forte drops, and a really slow taper.. Don't stop them too soon!

HD

I got uveitis for the 1st time last year & that should've been my 1st clue that a bad flare was coming. I had my 19th surgery at Mayo clinic & its been since August 2014 & now my eye is flaring up again. Stay in the dark all the time :)