Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Watery ileostomy output

01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Watery ileostomy output

I was told that ileostomy output should ideally be of the consistency of porridge. Mine has been just that for the couple of months that I've had it. The only exception was when I had a partial blockage, which led to sudden outbursts of watery output.

But yesterday and today, although I've had about the same amount of output as usual, it's all been like water. I've no other symptoms and I'm sticking strictly to safe foods which I've eaten since the ileostomy with no problems (I'm not risking another blockage), so does it matter that it's watery?
What possible causes are there of watery output other than diet and blockages?
01-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Mine is almost always thin water. I initially had problems keeping up with the watery output and dehydration, but that balanced itself out after several months. I very rarely have porridge consistency.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
01-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
grt73

My Support Groups:
My Output seems to change daily. If I eat lots and take less fluid its a lot thicker, more fluid is obviously more water like. The only time time I have found problems is if its liquid and a bit stinky. The remaining length of your small bowel also plays a big part in what the consistency is like. If its short its going to be more fluid as the transit is a lot shorter. Colour is quite a good indicator too!
I wouldn't worry too much tho, if your feeling ok, have an appetite and you have output, all is probably hunky dory!
01-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thanks, I seem to be back to normal now.

I'm actually not really sure how much small intestine I have left. I thought I had practically all of it, but at my follow-up appointment with the surgeon, he said I was missing enough that absorbtion may become an issue.
01-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
grt73

My Support Groups:
Strangely mine said the same, I have tried to find out how much of mine was left and how much they took. Kept getting conflicting answers which angered me somewhat. Supposedly i have 1.4m left, I'm pretty sure my absorption has improved over the last few months, to start with it was shocking. Reading up it says it can take a year to up its game to a level where you are getting enough fluid and nutrients.
I'm pretty sure supplements will always be a part of my diet now.
Glad it's back to normal for you!
01-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I go from total brown water with a few tiny specks to full on porridge. Sometimes it's the food and others there is no rhyme or reason.

Ileostomies tend to be quite liquid as opposed to the thicker sister poop from
a colostomy. Did I just write that lol?
01-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Thicker sister poop....lol!!! My poop is hard as rocks usually...I don't know how you guys deal with that liquid stuff, you're stronger than I am!

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

01-10-2014, 04:24 AM   #8
Kat24

I feel liquid is easier i can't imagine squeezing a normal poop out of a bag haha!!
01-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Ew. Hahaha!!

I think my (loop) ileostomy is quite high up as far as how much small bowel is actually being used versus the rest that is just sitting quietly, and so not a whole lot of it is functioning. My output is almost always a lovely green.
01-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Kat24

That's ew!! Why is it green??haha
01-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Bile
01-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I feel liquid is easier i can't imagine squeezing a normal poop out of a bag haha!!
I use liners inside my bag, so I just have to whip the liner out, flush it and put a new one in. Sooooo easy!
01-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
2th I am also usually green. Kinda gross. For me it's bile, and I am trying green juices which stain my poop neon green lol.
01-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
robbo87

My Support Groups:
I find usually that my output goes very watery and higher than usual if I have a bug of some sort. Infact just before Christmas I was in hospital on a drip for a week because my stoma was constantly spurting out water due to a nasty bug.

Best thing to do is to keep you're fluids and salt intake up to help with rehydration but if it carries on and starts to get out of control going to the hospital is always a wise move imo.
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
01-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
For those who have consistently watery output, what's your diet like? And do you use gelling products to help solidify the output a bit?

I've only had liquid output when I was in the hospital and I found it a nightmare to manage, so during my last hospital stay I used a gelling sachet (Okayed by the nursing staff) to make things a bit easier until I was able to eat more and get my regular output back.

https://www.veganostomy.ca
https://www.youtube.com/user/Veganostomy/
https://www.facebook.com/Veganostomy
https://www.twitter.com/VeganOstomy

01-12-2014, 01:01 AM   #16
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I use ilesorb which I find is pretty good but it only breaks down the sachet sometimes. I guess it depends on what I eat because some poop doesn't dissolve them. I tried other companies but Ilesorb works best.
01-12-2014, 01:03 AM   #17
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I use ilesorb which I find is pretty good but it only breaks down the sachet sometimes. I guess it depends on what I eat because some poop doesn't dissolve them. I tried other companies but Ilesorb works best.
Have you tried this:

http://youtu.be/9H_jVUoQaI4

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Watery ileostomy output