Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » How do you control flare-ups from UC WITHOUT medication?

01-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
katielj

How do you control flare-ups from UC WITHOUT medication?

I am currently having a bad flare-up with my UC (to be honest my symptoms never fully go away even while on medication). I have chosen not to take my medication (Lialda) because I am 6 weeks pregnant; however I cannot ease these symptoms no matter how bland I eat. I can't imagine going through another 8/9 months of this ...I feel like my body is a hostile environment for my developing baby!

Can any please help?

Thank you. Katie

01-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Have you talked to your doctor? I'd make sure to mention this to them. I've never delt with flares without meds. Might not be any choice, but would sure talk to someone about it first. Good luck.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
01-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
jwfoise

Have you talked to your doctor? I'd make sure to mention this to them. I've never delt with flares without meds. Might not be any choice, but would sure talk to someone about it first. Good luck.
What Cross-stich gal said - talk to either your GI or your OB/GYN (or both). Is there evidence that Lialda is harmful to your baby; did your doctor recommend stopping it?

Probiotics help me a lot (though I take them with the rest of my drugs), you might try one of those, or even some yougurt.
01-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
katielj

Thanks so much for your responses. I will see my GI Dr on Monday and ask him if there is an alternative. It's just my own paranoia that has made me stop taking my medication

01-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I'm sure they'll have some ideas for you. Please keep us updated.
01-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
UC without meds was horrible for me. I did that for 18 years secondary to misdiagnosis. The only thing that helped was cigarette smoking, which I do not recommend to anyone, especially with you being pregnant.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
01-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
Hey 2th fairy,

That is really interesting about the cigarette smoking and UC. My friends husband is struggling badly with a stubborn case of UC. He cannot get it under control at all. He has been in a flare for like a year now, with No relief. Asocal did help him for years, he would only have like a couple flare ups a year that lasted usually a couple weeks. Last year he ate some Mexican food, got real sick and has been bad ever since. I know he would not want to start smoking, but I just wonder what it is in the cigarettes that help??

UC without meds was horrible for me. I did that for 18 years secondary to misdiagnosis. The only thing that helped was cigarette smoking, which I do not recommend to anyone, especially with you being pregnant.
01-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
katielj

I had a good visit with my GI doctor today. He was glad I came off the Lialda (due to my pregnancy) and instead prescribed me a steroid enema to use over the next month.... not too excited about the idea of this, but excited that this is going to be treating the UC locally, so will hopefully start working quicker than oral drugs.

He also referred me to a nutritionist who has already scheduled me in for the end of the month. I will let you know what she advises.

01-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
katielj

I never ended up taking the steroid enema; on the box itself it says it is not recommended during pregnancy because of unknown risks to the unborn child, and also warnings on.the internet. So I'm back to square one, with a stubborn flare up that is getting worse by the day .

I wish there were a safe herbal medication that could control this flare up...

01-20-2014, 02:27 AM   #10
durwardian

So many people report that smoking gives relief, something to be said there...

01-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
So many people report that smoking gives relief, something to be said there...
Something to be said there is don't do it! Save your lungs or save your colon? Save your lungs! You can live without a colon, but not without lungs.

Especially don't smoke during pregnancy.
01-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
Axelfl3333

Don,t smoke!its bad for the baby and you!herbal stuff is pretty much the placebo effect not knocking it,but harass the life out of your doctors for some other solution.good luck
01-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
katielj

Thank you guys. I will definitely NOT be smoking, not now or ever. Going to harrass my Dr & obgyn

01-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
durwardian

Bone broth comes to mind

01-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
katielj

Bone broth?

01-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #16
durwardian

Yes, look at the diet section GAPS, it is central to this diet

01-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
durwardian

http://gapsdiet.com/site/mobile?url=...DIET.html#2742

01-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
katielj

Thank you for the link durwardian. I have to say it is quite overwhelming, but extremely interesting - the supplements, detox, probiotics.... etc. Thanks, I will try some of this

01-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

A paleo diet is all I can think of right now.
01-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
katielj

Thanks FrancisK7. A friend of mine is on this diet (for no other reason other than to be extremely healthy), and he swears by it.

01-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #21
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

It works for sure, and I've had some positive results on it when I was flaring so aggressively I would have 15 BM a day and pain around the clock.
However, I like food, I am a fantastic cook (my French genes perhaps), and the prospect of eating like a caveman for the rest of my life felt like a worse sentence than a flaring colitis. A paleo diet will give your bowel a break and is capable of delivering all the nutrients you and your baby require. But it's not a guaranteed fix and it certainly won't induce remission if your condition is severe or aggressive.

Ingesting cannabis (RSO oil or in capsules) is also another option, and it's a natural treatment, but it is medication. That being said I don't think an inflamed and bleeding colon is preferable to a mild medication that could appease the symptoms in some form (even if it doesn't induce remission).

Seeing as in you are in Cali, you would have access to quality RSO (Rick Simpson Oil). I single teaspoon before bed could provide a lot of relief and there is no scientific literature out there that has determined ingesting a small dose of cannabinoids each day is harmful to a human fetus or its development.
01-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
katielj

I too love food....although this disease is slowly making me hate it! I'm English, so I don't know I have the claim to culinary expertise like you

Are you a professional dietician, or doctor or something? Or is it the pure fact of educating yourself? You seem so knowledgeable!

02-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #23
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

I can't say Cali is a bad place to move to if you are English I hear it rains all the time in England. I lived in Germany for a few years, then Luxembourg, where it must have rained 350 days in the year. Awful. I will visit England for sure one day, but I got Scotland and Ireland on my list first. Ha! English food isn't bad, but it's certainly not my favorite.

I'm a business owner in real life, but I spent a few years in medschool, some in biochem, and I have a strong desire to educate myself. Unfortunately I've experienced first hand the incompetence of some doctors and I know I can't trust anything that comes out of their mouth for granted, which is what we're conditioned to believe (where I live at least). Forums are a great place to share knowledge and debate topics. The paleo diet topic has caused sparkles before for sure.
02-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
JackC

Check out the book "Self Healing Colitis and Crohn's" by David Klein. His holistic, natural approach to managing and healing bowel disease has been a great help to me in dealing with ulcerative colits.
02-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #25
followmeg

My Support Groups:
I have heard that taking aloe vera is good for digestive health and/or healing some UC and CD symptoms. I haven't tried it personally, but I have family members who swear by it.
02-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #26
sunshinesmalls

Hi, I am pregnant too, 10 weeks today. I don't know if this helps, but my ob sent me to see a GI Dr who specializes in crohns and pregnancy, she is actually one of the highest regarded doctors in the world, in that field. She put me on Lialda, took me off asacol. Lialda is supposed to be very safe for you and the baby. Hope that helps, would be happy to share more of the information she gave me, if you need it! And congratulations!

02-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #27
katielj

FrancisK7...you can't tell an English girl you're going to visit Ireland and Scotland first!

I like you have a tough time trusting doctors, always seem to want to prescribe drugs to mask the symptoms, rather than trying to find/treat the cause!

Interested in the Paleo diet. Willing to try anything at this point...

02-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #28
katielj

Thank you JackC. I am definitely going to look into this. Absolutely nothing is working for me right now

02-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #29
katielj

Thanks sunshinesmalls! And congratulations to you too! I'm also 10 weeks pregnant!

I was on lialda before I got pregnant, I'm meeting with my GI nurse this week for a follow up, so maybe she'll put me back on it (unfortunately the steroid enema I've been on isn't working).

02-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #30
sunshinesmalls

I hope she does, for your sake! When is your due date? The Dr I saw is at UCSF in san Francisco. If there is any way you can get to her I would highly highly recommend it. My crohns stared to flare up and she had it stopped safely with in days of seeing her. She is amazing.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » How do you control flare-ups from UC WITHOUT medication?