• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"We're going to take out your intestines and see what's salvageable."

Thanks for giving me the chance to post. This is my first post here and thus it's long - I couldn't find anywhere more appropriate to do so, so please place it elsewhere if need be.

About a month ago I was on one of my "usual" day long vomiting binges (unexplained at the time) ... only this time the accompanying abdominal pain didn't abate.

I've developed a strong threshold for abdominal pain over the years, having passed kidney stones on several occasions.

I called my wife and she came home and convinced me to go to the emergency room.

I limped into the emergency room with severe abdominal pain ... something I've grow accustomed to over my lifetime. It was a surprise to me when after I'd been given morphine and stabilized just enough to absorb some information that a surgeon arrived in front of me to inform me I needed emergency surgery.

"We're going to take out your intestines and see what's salvageable. There's a chance when you wake up you'll have a stoma or a colostomy bag. We really won't know till we get in there. Please sign these papers."

My wife was with me. The surgeon looked at me as if I was being difficult as I silently looked at the papers.

"Feel free to contact anyone you know in the medical field if that would help."

I called my wife's mother, a former nurse ... a contacted a friend of mine who is an orthopedic surgeon (I teach he and his son chess). They both told me that I would indeed need to have the procedure done as the blockage needed to be removed, or else.

9 inches of my small intestine was removed and I spent 6 days in hospital recovering after that ...

The surgeon team's "working diagnosis" was IBD and the Gastro's diagnosis (in under 3 minutes flat) was Crohn's.

I've suffered from severe abdominal pain for about 20 years now ... I'm 33 years old. Only now is any clarification arising as to the actual culprit.

I've also suffered from severe restless legs syndrome since I was a child, which I've read is another side effect of Crohn's.

I've looked and felt sick for a number of years now ... my iron levels have steadily decreased along with my other vitamin absorption rates.

My GP watched me steadily decline with a happy grin and a reassurance over the months that it was all just indigestion ... he told me to take Gaviscon (which in Australia is the equivalent of Mylanta, etc.) He assured me that the level of pain I was enduring was normal ... I had eaten the wrong thing, it was indigestion.

I'd been showing up on a regular basis with complaints of never ending vomiting, headaches, blood in my stool, etc. None of this added up to him apparently, a CT scan was never ordered. I asked for an ultrasound on my own, being suspicious of kidney stones ... it came back clear. If only I'd asked for a CT scan.

Nobody ever really believed me or understood the level of pain I was in ... and apparently nobody understood the level of pain my cousin was in either. He was 16 years old, diagnosed UC ... he suicided a few months ago after a long battle with this illness.

I think often now about the bizarre fate in all of this ... that we shared a related condition, that I could have mentored/helped him, that I even work in mental health ...

I'm lucky in that I was older than him. I work as a therapist; I've been able to battle the emotional and psychological damage to the best of my ability.

I've yet to be put on any medication - I have an appointment with my Gastro again in March. I'll be looking for a new GP in the coming days ...

The mix of emotions I'm feel each day are as various as the symptoms themselves. I get angry when I think about the fact nobody helped me figure this out before ... when I think about the years of pain.

I get scared when I think about the fact that not much is known about this and I feel weird sensations during the day.

I feel lonely when I realize nobody seems to really understand how difficult it is for me to go to work or even survive a midst all this. I feel shock thinking about everything that's transpired in such a short time frame.

My current symptoms are various and somewhat predictable, but they're less disturbing now that I know I'm not just "crazy" or suffering from some mystery illness.

I get stabbing pains in my abdomen still (nothing severe, just little pokes down there ... reminders or echos of a much more horrendous pain). I get nauseous sometimes.

Every day at a given time I'll go through an hour or so of hot flashes and physical weakness.

The story is, obviously, much more robust and somber than this brief fact article can offer (as are most of the other stories here I assume) ... I just thought I would begin with this post, just to begin somewhere.

Uncertainty is a horrible thing ... that's something I've known to be true as a psychologist working in a crisis center. It drives most anxiety disorders I help people with. I admire all of you for dealing with this and helping each other out here.

If anyone wants to PM me to ask anything mental health related please don't hesitate ... I would like to offer anything I can.

Nice to meet you all. :smile:

Catherine

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have Crohn's, I have a working dx of bile reflux Gastritis currently removing wheat from my diet.

My 18 year old dx was dx with Crohn's disease almost 2 years ago. Her was previous dx with ibs even although she had a ultrasound report which explained what tests to be done if there were clinical reason to think IBD was a possibility.

Getting a dx of IBD is half the battle.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi MrBleu and welcome to the forum! :D

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You've been through quite a lot and I'm really sorry to hear about your cousin. That is tragic. :(

Is it possible to get on a cancellation list with your GI doctor? March seems like a long way away.

If you haven't already, changing your diet a bit might help lesson your symptoms until you see your GI. The Low Residue diet is a common one to try. Softer and easier to digest foods put less irritation on the inflamed bowel so it's worth a shot for the time being.

Welcome again and keep us posted. :)

Catherine

MrBleu

As your dx was though the hospital system, I assume your appointment is with a public GI. If you want a sooner appointment you may want to look at getting a referral to the private GI.

The costs of treatment are dearer with private GI but it normally much quicker to get appointments and testing.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi MrBleu and :welcome:

I am so very sorry to hear of all you have been through and are still facing. :( I am also saddened to hear about your cousin, what a heartbreaking time it must have been for you all and now for you thinking of the what ifs. :ghug:

My daughter has a similar story to yours, although her journey wasn’t as long. She went undiagnosed for 18 months and during that time suffered with various symptoms but it all culminated in severe unrelenting abdominal pain and emergency surgery. She received her diagnosis on the operating table. And yes, she too had numerous visits to the GP. (sigh)

How long is it since your surgery?

Did you have a ileocecotomy (right hemicolectomy)?

Have you have bloods done for:

Aside from baseline…
CRP
ESR
Iron Stores
Folate
B12
Vit D
Magnesium
Zinc

…if not when you next go to the GP have them do a request.

Dusty. xxx

Wow so many replies already. Jennifer, he told me himself to come back in March ... is that abnormal to you?

Thanks Catherine re. the diagnostic advice. That part is is a huge aspect of the "uncertainty anxiety."

Also, Catherine, I have Medibank in Australia so I suppose I'm entitled to see a private Gastro if I need to. My advice so far from most people has been "There isn't much difference.." but I don't know if that's the truth because I've not been to a private doctor.

I'm sorry to hear you have suffered for so long without help.

You sound like you are a strong person but this condition gets the best of all of us some times.

It is good you have found this forum as there is nothing like talking to people who have been where you are at.

Good luck with your future treatment. I have found that as bad as things feel eventually you do start to feel better but it can be a long road.

How long is it since your surgery?

Did you have a ileocecotomy (right hemicolectomy)?

Have you have bloods done for:

Aside from baseline…
CRP
ESR
Iron Stores
Folate
B12
Vit D
Magnesium
Zinc

…if not when you next go to the GP have them do a request.

Dusty. xxx
Surgery was Dec. 2, so just over a month now.

ileocecotomy ... when I went in, that side of my stomach was about to burst out like in the movie "Alien" ... the slightest touch was nearly causing me to pass out.

My worst is my iron stores ... very low and have been forever. I have been taking iron supplements for several months and it still doesn't seem to have had much of an effect.

B12 is ok ... D was low, C was low ... I was (still am) just really malnourished across the board because of the lack of absorption.

People have been looking at me for ages now and saying "are you o.k.?" It had gotten to the point where that was just the acceptable state.

I'm sorry about your daughter. Was she able to handle it o.k.? I was fine ... I was more worried about people worrying about me than anything else honestly. For some reason I was at peace with it all as abrupt as it was.

I'm just content for now in having a name for all of this.

Also re. magnesium, could very well be a big factor in my restless leg pain.

Catherine

We have only ever seen a private GI. Our visit to emergency on Christmas Eve 2011 result in a letter to the gp, requesting a referral be written to a GI.

The letter was written on the 28th December 2011, she was dx Crohn's on 25th January 2012 after scopes, an MRI was performed the next week. We then had fortnight visits for a while.

She was consider an urgent case due to weight loss and anemia.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Wow so many replies already. Jennifer, he told me himself to come back in March ... is that abnormal to you?
If you had few symptoms at the time then that is a normal wait time. Yet if your symptoms have increased since then then you could give them a call if you haven't already and they might want to see you sooner. It's possible that they might be waiting to see if your symptoms resolve themselves but at least keep them updated just in case you need to be seen sooner.

We all have different symptoms with Crohn's but there is one thing we share in common. PAIN. Keep up the good fight.
Thanks.

I can deal with the pain ... but I can't stand the fact that it's basically reduced me to a small percentage of what I was mentally and physically capable of just a few years ago.

Today I went to a museum that I've been to several times. I wanted to enjoy the artwork, read the descriptions ... the entire time I was entirely preoccupied with the physical sensations.

Maybe as others have said, I should see my GI sooner and be more vocal about my symptoms. It's hard for me to complain ... I don't really know how to convey it.

MrBleu,
Sorry for all your suffering. It seems to be the common condition that we all share.
When I was in the hospital last July, one of the GI docs from the practice came in to check me out. She told me that they are now finding that most Crohn's patients have had the disease on an average of 8 to 9 years before their first flare. I find it amazing how much you dealt with as "indigestion" when in reality it was Crohn's.
You came to the right place. Best of luck.

Thanks.

I can deal with the pain ... but I can't stand the fact that it's basically reduced me to a small percentage of what I was mentally and physically capable of just a few years ago.

Today I went to a museum that I've been to several times. I wanted to enjoy the artwork, read the descriptions ... the entire time I was entirely preoccupied with the physical sensations.

Maybe as others have said, I should see my GI sooner and be more vocal about my symptoms. It's hard for me to complain ... I don't really know how to convey it.
So when I was first diagnosed I was really bad advocating for myself as I viewed it as complaining (it's not). I ended up putting up feeling sick for much longer than necessary and actually ended up in the hospital. I'm still not very good at complaining to my doctor although have gotten much better. A few tips that help me.
- Write down your symtpoms or concerns. It can be hard when you're on the spot to remember all of your questions or symptoms. Plus if you have trouble coming up with what to say, it's already written down.
- Bring a friend who is not afraid to speak up. I got sick in grad school and one of my good friends would come with me to appointments to help keep me honest (and wasn't afraid to interrupt if she thought I was leaving things out).

Good luck!

She told me that they are now finding that most Crohn's patients have had the disease on an average of 8 to 9 years before their first flare. I find it amazing how much you dealt with as "indigestion" when in reality it was Crohn's.
This is part of what scares me the most about all of this. I'm a very scientific minded individual ... I can tell when a doctor or a surgeon is in over their head. I haven't met a single individual yet who I could look at it the eye and get the impression ... "I am confident about what's going on here. I understand it biologically."

It's all so vague ... the terminology so contradictory and nebulous ... can't make anything of it. One part of me feels anger at this, and the other understands that in a way it's just the limitations of our time medically.

I had what sounds like the same procedure as you btw, 20 CM resection. My GI told me that this probably goes back 15 years for me - but I actually feel it's longer. I've just gone through long periods of remission.

- Bring a friend who is not afraid to speak up. I got sick in grad school and one of my good friends would come with me to appointments to help keep me honest (and wasn't afraid to interrupt if she thought I was leaving things out).

Good luck!
It's interesting ... there are so many intelligent people I've met already here. It's bizarre that with all my training that when I am in front of a particular GP or GI that I just go into zombie mode.

You're right that I should bring my wife in. The times she has been with me it has both helped prompt me to ask questions as well as give me more confidence that I'm not being a "hypochondriac."

I am flying back to Sydney from Los Angeles in a couple of days. On the flight over I started throwing up about 2/3 of the way through the 15 hour flight, well ... technically the first time I threw up I held it in through sheer force of will until the bathroom opened up, lol ... :pale:

Another thing: For the rest of you ... when you first told another person that you had or might have IBD or "Crohn's" ... did they pull a face like you were just diagnosed terminal? That's been my experience.

They looked at me like this: :shifty:

Worst thing for me lately is these damn hot flashes, ugh. I'm logging everything to try to exclude every possible culprit food and medicine wise.

PsychoJane

Another thing: For the rest of you ... when you first told another person that you had or might have IBD or "Crohn's" ... did they pull a face like you were just diagnosed terminal? That's been my experience.
It really depends on the knowledge of the person you tell it to I would say. This disease differs so much from one to another that some people may have heard of the hardest story. I mean, I don't consider my case to be the worst but at the same time my disease has been incredibly severe at some point. I could understand people making faces in relation to their understanding of what my disease is (surgery, uncertainties, medication... side effects from the medication (that have been almost worst for me than the disease itself)). At the same time I know other that have the condition and I'm almost jealous as it seems "easy". They appear to respond well to the medication, only have mild flares, are able to progress in their studies and career path without excessive limitations.

I won't lie to you. That disease is no fun, but from what you said in your previous posts, you already know its face. I would be tempted to say that it should only get better with appropriate management.

Regarding the hot flashes, are you taking any corticosteroids? I know these were causing me to feel that way when I was taking them.

They appear to respond well to the medication, only have mild flares, are able to progress in their studies and career path without excessive limitations.

I won't lie to you. That disease is no fun, but from what you said in your previous posts, you already know its face. I would be tempted to say that it should only get better with appropriate management.

Regarding the hot flashes, are you taking any corticosteroids? I know these were causing me to feel that way when I was taking them.
The part about my career really gets to me sometimes. As I said in a previous post, I know what I'm capable of ... and I know when I'm running on about 25% of my capabilities. I'm in the prime of my life and it's demoralizing that I'm not living up to my own personal view of my potential because I'm just so weak/mentally distracted with symptoms.

I can take the pain - I just hate knowing in the back of my mind it's robbing me of other things.

No corticosteroids ... I take some pain relief medication. I've been logging everything closely but it's still hard to tell what's causing what.

I saw that you were a member of a sub forum for people who suffered from IBD as a child which I know I did. Since I'm a therapist I know how important our childhood is to our worldview.

Since I've realized I spent much of my youth "sick" I'm now going through deep reflection about a lot of my assumptions about myself. Maybe you experienced something similar.

I'm 33 now, I've been having the symptoms without diagnosis since I was a little kid.

Sorry to hear your diagnosis took so long - unfortunately I am coming to find that is very common with this disease.

I am a therapist too... Pretty new in the field. I still have a hard time coping. I can help others but not myself... Ironic. If I feel good stomach wise for awhile, the mental/ emotional stuff disappears... Then as soon as I have a bad flare, it is back at full force.

Glad to be on this forum though and see that I'm not alone. Hope you will feel the same since joining!