• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Living w/ Crohn's: My Wife and Her Struggles

Hello, my name is Tommy Pi, for short, and I've lived with my wife for over 2 1/2 years, who suffers painfully from Crohn's, Endometriosis, and IBS; the triple threat, as I call it. She's going on 43 next month, and has been first diagnosed at 27, I believe; so that's just about 16 years living with these "incurable" diseases, but I am a Christian who believes in supernatural healing, I believe someday she will be healed.

Angela has gone through everything though, I'm younger than her so I am more energetic and motivated about getting her help and all, but she has been over this again and again; Johns Hopkins, New York City, Arizona, etc. Holistic care, Natural and Homeopathic care, regular medical care; has never taken Humira for reasons unknown; just doesn't believe in it. I personally have never lived with someone who suffers this way, it's hard at times, social life and dates out on the town. I am learning about Crohn's as much as possible, I've signed up for so many at-home mailers that these places must think it's ME who has it! I've learned about polyps, and fissures, and all of that stuff; flare ups, etc.

It's so hard. I signed on to this forum because we both have been 'over sick' since Christmas; literally a day over two weeks already. Angela feels like she has gotten worse and is getting something again, starting up - such as fever and more. So I'll be finding a medical question / Colds, Flues, Sick forums on here to post a question, maybe someone else has an answer. I fear, and so does she, that she is hurting internally - that this extension of the cold/flu or whatever it is, may be getting worse because of her twisted immune system.

She has had Colonoscopy Surgery years back, not sure exactly when, years after she was first diagnosed in 1998. So therefore, I'm not sure what's all going on really, inside her. It sucks, it really does. I love her with all of my heart and she said, "I feel like I'm dying" just before; I've learned that there comes pessimism and negative future outlooks with this disease that haven't been easy to overcome, I try and be positive and optimistic but it's hard.

Empathy is a great temporal cure I've realized, even in a simple relationship, it's good to be able to know and understand what your spouse is feeling and going through as if you are yourself, but this is so difficult. I just want her to be happy. Thanks for this forum, I hope I find some answers. God Bless!

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome!
I believe one day, scientists will find a cure. It might not be in this lifetime, but maybe the next.
Its great that you are so supportive of your wife. As I am sure you ave learned, it is a very debilitating disease that impacts every aspect of our lives.
Sorry she hans't been feeling well. It could be that the cold/flu that you guys picked up over the holidays started a flare, or it could just be that it is taking longer for her to get over it. Since we are autoimmune the simplest bacteria can be difficult to fight. But definitely touch base with her doctor so that if it is a flare it can be nipped in the butt. (pun intended)
There is a prayer thread circulating around here, you might want to check that out. Also, there is a section on here for caregivers/supporters, you may want to check that part out as well. ( you don't have to stay in there, post where ever you see fit :p ) Best wishes to your wife!