• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not sure what to do.. possible blockage forming?

Hey guys. So it's already 4 am here and I haven't been able to sleep much. Lately the right side of my stomach (around the area I had had surgery on a year ago) Has been hurting on and off.... also my stomach has been making SO much noise and if I rub the area where pain is it makes a sounds right from that area... almost like pushing helped whatever was stuck finally move. I am not sure what to do at this point, if I should be concerned about this being intestinal blockage forming or what. I am worried but my GI is booked for almost a half a year away. Is there anything I can do right now to help myself? Any advice or words about what you think of this situation?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Is there any way you can go to the ER and get checked out? While in there maybe requesting that they contact your GI or regular doctor as well? I'm thinking that this might be a time that you need to get yourself checked out before your appt. I hope you can get this taken care of. Please keep us updated on how you're doing. :hug:

I'm not sure if the pain is bad enough to consider it an emergency or not yet? I mean it isn't constant by any means, nor that bad of pain. Just occasionally for a few seconds. :/

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
In that case, I'd keep a watch on it. If it does get to that point, don't wait. But, you know what's best for you. In the meantime, we're here for ya. Xxxx

I took my temperature and its like 99.5 which isn't TOO bad but for sure a little higher than normal :/ I'm wondering if I should try to do like a clear liquid diet for a day or 2 and see if I feel any better.

Going to a softer diet or fluid diet couldn't really hurt, and may provide a little relief. I was also told after most of my surgeries that you can expect pain and discomfort for up to a year afterwards. Nothing like complicating the issue a little... Hopefully it settles down for you shortly.

I was told that blockages actually lead to an absence of bowel sounds. Last time I was in hospital, the doctors were worried because my stomach was silent. You'd probably have severe pain with a blockage too.

How are you doing now? Have the symptoms passed?

the pain is worse. I also feel like a have a huge mass in the upper part of my stomach. I was constipated for 3 days and when i finally did go the the bathroom it was almost all ony mucus. I called my GI but I've been waiting all morning for her to answer :c

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'd get it checked. Please keep us posted. Blockages can cause serious problems. Hope you feel better soon.

I tried calling the GI and she told me she would call me back and never did. I'm so frustrated. And now I am starting to feel nauseous.

Hello,
Sorry to hear you are feeling so rubbish. Are you passing any gas at all?
What is the pain like?

Sounds like you could be really backed up. I had similar symptoms to you late last year, no BM for 4-5 days, was feeling really sick and ended up in hosp with uncontrollable pain and vomiting! So i would really hassle your GI if you feel like you are blocked, don't want to leave it till it gets really bad. Do you have an IBD nurse?

Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. May be worth taking a laxative but only if your GI has recommended this.

No, it feels like i have to but i can't when i try. The pain is pretty sharp, very similar to the first couple times I ended up in the hospital. They had me go in and get x-ray and blood work and said they would call me back but im still waiting for them almost 12 hours later and feeling even more awful than before. I actually have started to feel nauseous if i drink anything thicker than juice or water, I tried some Boost because i haven't eaten in 4 days now and it hurt and started to feel really nauseous. I don't have a nurse. Although she hasn't given me any instructions on what to do so i don't want to take a laxative just yet. I'm just so bothered because it seems like they aren't treating this with as much care as they should be doing. I tried sleeping for a while but i just woke up again because of the pain :/

Mmm yea I hate that feeling of wanting to go but you can't!
At least you have had an Xray! That's one step, but they need to follow up on it.
Have you tried calling them today? It sounds like you have some sort of blockage and u will prob need some medical help before it gets really bad.
If it gets really bad and you think you need help then go to A&E esp it feels like the previous episodes you have had.

So... If I could sum up my frustration now.... I go in to get xrays and blood work. They tell me to go home and they will call me with results that night.... never did. The next morning still no call so I call them, no answer. An hour or so later my GI triage nurse calls and tells me my small bowel is perforated it's a huge emergency I need to get to the ER ASAP my surgeon calls me and tells me the same thing and that I will be needing surgery. I get to the ER which is full although at this point I'm in so much pain, wait a while finally get taken back. Get pain meds and such then wait 4 hours and none of my GI's or Surgeons had come to talk to me yet. Finally on of the resident doctors comes in and says "oh, your xrays look totally fine there's nothing wrong you can go home. I was in shock like I didn't understand what was happening seeing as everyone was telling me that it was a perforation and awful and such. But the pain was and is still awful so I told them I would prefer to stay here at least overnight. Had a CT scan done which also showed almost nothing, yet I still have a lot of pain. I still can't pass gas, I still haven't been able to poop. And I when I tried eating solid food I could feel it passing through all of my intestines and when it got to the area that was bothering me it hurt. I have no idea what is going on. It is just pretty ridiculous to call me and tell me my bowel is perforated and then say nothing is wrong. I am so aggravated, and on top of it all I still feel just awful. I have had flares before, but never anything like this. I never have had black diarrhea, followed by constipation, tons of mucus, and pain that seems to pulsate. Something just doesn't seem right.

So sorry you've had such a stressful time! I can only imagine that either another person's test results got switched with yours, or that your nurse and surgeon meant they thought there was a possibility you had a perforation and sent you to the ER just in case. I hope you'll get to see them soon and get a proper explanation.

I guess the positive you can take from this is that whatever is wrong with you is not imminently dangerous, as surely the ER staff wouldn't have failed to notice a perforation or similar emergency by now.

Do you have a plan about what to do next? Are your symptoms easing at all? I know the last thing you'll want to do is to go back to the ER, but if you're still in pain and concerned, don't let the way you were treated put you off - don't put yourself at risk just because other people messed up.

Well right now I am still at the hospital because they said they don't doubt that I am in pain but they want to try and figure out what is wrong. They also want to get me to be able to actually use the bathroom. So my regular doctors are trying to do something with miralax and the GI team is talking about a possible colonoscopy to see if there was possibly something forming that the xray and ct scan just couldnt pick up yet. For now theyre just doing pain/nausea control and trying to help me be able to poop.