Share Facebook

01-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
monkey

My Support Groups:
Advice RE: pred

Hi guys... I've been away for a while
I'm struggling at the moment, not really sure what to do!!
I have a diagnosis of IBD, likely Crohns due to location, but the jury is out. I also have an intususception of the descending colon, I have a GI and a colorectal surgeon in different health trusts looking at me!

I'm taking 40mg pred and have been for 5 days, i know I'm impatient but usually its started to work for me by now I'm really struggling I'm only in a little pain, I can cope with that... But when I went to the GP the other day I took a sample bottle with over 7mls of blood from one toilet trip... This is now WORSE, bleeding more and more frequently - probably 4 large ish bleeds a day.

Consequently my iron is on its arse.

I'm going to get a GP opinion tomorrow, should be ok to get an emergency appt, but don't know if I should be speaking to the IBD nurse too?? Probably need IVs again but don't want to go into hospital!!

Any advice about other options would be great - I take no maintenance drugs, I found immune suppressants awful as I work in the hospital and was always sick from them!!

Thanks so much!!

Gail
01-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
If you're passing more blood than you were before, I'd head to the ER now! Dripping blood is not good especially if your iron becomes too low. I can totally understand your not wanting to go in. But, passing that much blood is not good. Please keep us updated.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
01-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
monkey

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much so good to have a second opinion!! My mum is usually the person to tell me what to do when I'm sick but shes really ill at the moment too.... And bless my lovely fiance, but he has no idea what to do to help!!
I'll try to get into the GPs early tomorrow, will let you know how we go!
01-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
No problem. I'm in a flare right now too. Not as bad as the one you have at the moment. But, dripping blood scares me. Right now I'm taking some time off work in hopes to reduce the stress level and my flare. So, I know where you're going. Take care!
01-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
monkey

My Support Groups:
The GP was great... My bloods last week show my CRPs are normal, but thisis not really anything new for me, it tends not to change.
She phoned the consultant and I'm having a scope tomorrow, the consultant is doing it himself, then we can decide what to do from there.
Had an awful night last night, awake for 5 hours in agony and managed to burn my hand making a hot water bottle... Oh dear!
01-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear that the GP was great!!! Ouch. Those burns hurt. Good luck with the scope tomorrow. Hopefully you'll get some answers. Please keep us updated.
01-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
monkey

My Support Groups:
Interesting morning.
My rectum is a mess, like total car-crash... I've got some steroid enemas to try which he thinks should fix me pretty well, also have pentasa suppository. They took a billion biopsies of the inflamed area and thought it may be related to the intususception in some way but we'll see...
The best news is that I get to stop the oral preds and crazy side effects
Thanks again for the support!
xxx
01-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update! It'll be nice for you to be able to stop the pred. Sorry to hear about your mess there. But, hopefully things will start healing for you. xxxx