Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Oats for breakfast with a stoma

01-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Gav

My Support Groups:
Oats for breakfast with a stoma

Hello All! I hope you are all brilliantly well! And those that are not I hope the healthy times are approaching you with ferocious speed!!!

Not been on here for a very long time, but decided to come along and ask a question.

I've had my stoma since 2007 and for the first time in a long time I started to have porridge for breakfast recently, on the recommendation that oats for breakfast can help you keep good energy throughout the day.

For the first day or so I noticed at work that as he day went on I could actually smell the contents of my stoma from my desk . It wasn't too strong, but I wondered if the filter was bad and when I changed it the next day it would be fine. But this kept on for a week or so. Luckily it wasn't strong enough for anyone else to notice.

I eventually realised it was down to the porridge so switched to another Oat cereal. Same thing....from about half way through the day, I could smell the contents of my bag.

So I stopped having the oats cereal and have since been on an oat cereal bar. This time, no problem. I'm interested to know if anyone here has had this issue and if they managed to get over it and still have the porridge or oats for breakfast? An odd one I know, but in the 7 years of having a stoma I've not come across this.

The bags I wear are Coloplast Assura.

Thanks for reading!

Gav
01-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I am afraid to eat oats and get obstructed but I also find my bag smells sometimes. Do you remove the bag from the baseplate and put it back or swivel the coloplast lock? I think stool gets through and it's so little but it smells.
01-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
I'm surprised... I have had this issue with other brand of ostomy product but I've been fine with Coloplast (I use the sensura product). I do eat oat but not on a regular basis and so far I have not came across that issue or, I have not yet made a link between both.

The only food that cause issues are certain fishes... to a point I avoid eating them because of the smell they cause. I'll try paying attention next time I eat oatmeal or things like that.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
01-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I've never noticed that either, but I don't eat oats that often. Sorry this isn't helpful...lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

01-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
BowelMeOver

I wouldn't look to the bag for blame on this, Gav. My husband steered
clear of oats while he had his ileostomy, but since his reversal in December,
he has been trying all kinds of foods that were once off limits.
Surpisingly oatmeal, which was once a favorite, is off the list f o r e v e r!
He claims to have never had poop that smelled so atrocious in his life!
Contrast enema + flex scope 11-18-2013 = approved for reversal!
Reversal scheduled for December 19th. Egads!

Sometimes hope is the best medicine. Don't give up!
01-14-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I eat oats several times a week and don't notice anything unusual about the smell. Are you preparing it with water or dairy milk or non-dairy milk?

https://www.veganostomy.ca
https://www.youtube.com/user/Veganostomy/
https://www.facebook.com/Veganostomy
https://www.twitter.com/VeganOstomy

01-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Interesting. I rarely eat oats, simply because I don't care for them unless they are in a cookie mixed with things of no nutritional value.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
01-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Gav

My Support Groups:
Thanks for all your help! Even you Nyx

I agree with you BowelMeOver I don't believe it is the bag.

VeganOstomy I have prepared the porridge with normal dairy milk and rice milk. The Oat Crisp cereal I used milk and no milk. With all of these I still had the smell issue as the day passed.

It's interesting to hear everyone's views. For now, I'll keep taking the oat cerealbar for my oaty goodness!
01-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
glum chump

My Support Groups:
I eat porridge for breakfast every day. I use steel cut oats and have it with regular milk. Can't say I've noticed any smell that's stronger, but thanks to reading through your experience, Gav, I can say that I'll be paranoid for the next couple of days that I can smell my output!

Enjoy your oat bar,

Kismet
01-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Gav

My Support Groups:
I am afraid to eat oats and get obstructed but I also find my bag smells sometimes. Do you remove the bag from the baseplate and put it back or swivel the coloplast lock? I think stool gets through and it's so little but it smells.
I didn't actually answer your question on this one ngng, apologies! In my case, I wear a one piece so there is no possibility of it leaking that way. In fact, once the filter is clogged up and air can't get out I can tell it's air tight. Yet the smell persists when I have the oaty breakfast. C'est la vie! I shall go onwards oatless at breakfast time!

And Apologies for inflicting you with paranoia kismet!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Oats for breakfast with a stoma