• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frequency of Remicade infusion

hi there, is anyone getting their remicade infusions every 10 or 12 weeks? my GI wants to stretch mine out to 12 weeks from 8 weeks as im doing so well. ive been on this drug for 2 years now and feel great so it makes sense to stretch them out. just wondering if anyone has done this and if so, how did it effect you?

thanks guys
:ylol:

rygon

I went from 8 weeks to 6 weeks due to still having problems.

Do you have a blood test to show the remicade levels and antibodies? I have both just before each infusion to show how much remicade is still in my system.

There's a certain level it should be. If yours is above then I cant see why you can't prolong the time between each infusion, but if it's near the limit it may not work

thanks Rygon, they told me to come in for a blood test two weeks ago which i did but i havent been told what the results are yet. the GI team are to ring me today with them. im due an infusion tomorrow so i think ill just tell them i want to get it. im a bit scared of what might happen if i wait until 12 weeks. more information is required about all this i think before i jump in and do a 12 week stint.

thanks for your advice again
bean
:smile:

I wouldn't do it. I've been perfect since starting Remicade over two years ago. The longer you go between infusions, the higher the chance of building antibodies to it. I wouldn't want to run that risk. Also, I had to wait ten weeks in between once and I started to feel very tired, achy, and just "off" a bit the week leading up to the next infusion.