• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colitis and possible arthritis?

I have had Ulcerative Colitis for over 3 years and lately have had what I feel are arthritis like symptoms. I am almost 24 years old so this seems strange to me to be having these symptoms. I have:

-pain when bending and straightening both knees
-pain in shoulders
-pain in wrists and elbows
-pain in fingers
-pain in hips and back

I have a hard time sleeping and have tried OTC sleep aids like Melatonin etc. I wake up every hour or so with horrible pains all over my body. I have an appointment with my GI on wednesday should I talk with him about all this? Could this be related to my Colitis?

Yes. UC (and Crohn's) are autoimmune diseases, as is arthritis. I think it is not uncommon to have both (my wife has Crohn's and mild arthritis). You might consider talking to a rheumatologist about it. Good luck.