• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Exercise?

What kind of exercise do you find is most compatible with your UC? I know I should be doing something, but with my aching joints, and abdominal pain, exercise doesn't sound fun.

rygon

I would start off with something easy like yoga, walking, cycling or swimming. All should be taken in baby steps at 1st so your body can get used to it, and if there is something it doesnt like, you haven't pushed it too far

I started cycling a year or so ago and its the one thing that i would say that has had the biggest effect on my health in general. Generally i have LRQ pain 24/7 and all the rest of the symptoms that go with IBD.
I found even a gentle relaxed cycle will inhibit a feeling of well being and will help a general fitness levels. Coincidence or not I found the regular excercise along with my meds really helped. Being fitter and stronger meant I could tolerate the bad days much better.
Im very lucky that I could continue to work and I started cycling to work each day that i felt strong enough. I manage my diet and time my meals so i can go out and not worry about toilets as much. I started mountain biking last summer and I am addicted to the freedom and the buzz. I do it when i can as i now feel life is too short to sit around waiting for things to happens. Gettin out ,i have met many new friends and i just feel better about things in general.
Just do it.
All i can say is do it

You can,t beat the cross trainer low impact on joints it's got a natural rhythm to it and is a good workout also like the rowing machine though if your knees are bad be careful