Share Facebook

01-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
poppets mum

My Support Groups:
Gabapentin question

Our GP decided to have Amy try Gabapentin. She has just got up to a full dose of 100mg three capsules a day. so far it does not seem to be doing too much, and co-incidentally her tummy pains have been worse since Monday to the point where she is missing school, which usually she tries to go no matter what is going on.
So my question is, are there any other people out there who have used this? and was or is it successful? anything in the way of side effects? Just not sure if this is coincidence and how long to give it. Does it take time to work or should you see some decrease in pain straightaway?
01-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
SupportiveMom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Poppets - this is a new drug for me. I tried to do some research on it and there isn't a lot on the web for treatment of Crohn's for it. What is the GP hoping the Gabapentin will do for her? This seems to only block pain from what I have read very briefly.

Ileostomy surgery July 2015

Current Meds: None!
Previous Meds: Humira, Remicade, Methotrexate, Cipro, Flagyl, Zofran, Cortifoam, 5-ASA suppository, Questran, Mezavant, EEN (Peptamen Jr. 1.5) by NG tube, Antibiotic Cocktail (Vancomycin, Metronidazole & Doxycycline), Simponi, Prevacid, Imuran, prednisone
ibdsupportivmom.wordpress.com ☆
01-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Honey
Forum Monitor

Hi there,
I was prescribed Gabapentin, at increasing amounts ,for pain in my foot, post surgery. It eventually got rid of my pain, but left me spaced out!!!!
I had to come off it for that reason and went on to use a Tens machine, successfully, for the pain.
So, it is not really for Crohns. I hope you get treatment that makes you feel better soon.
01-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Essieluv

Gabapentin does take a while before kicking in, unfortunately. When I was prescribed it last year, my doc told me that it could be six weeks before I noticed any improvement on my pain. Ultimately, it didn't help me out very much, but I know that lots of people have success with it. Good luck to both of you, and I hope things get better.

Waiting for a cure!
01-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
kristihelene

My Support Groups:
Poppets - what was she prescribed the gaba for? I take gabapentin as a migraine preventative. I am not sure if it causes increased crohn's pain or not, as I truly am in pain every day and have been for a long time (and have been on gaba for a long time). It helps a lot with preventing my headaches and migraines - and helps a little with my body pain as well. I had to stop it cold turkey once due to a blockage and couldn't take anything by mouth (there's no IV version) and had severe withdrawal side effects (but I was on a much higher dose than your daughter - 2400 mg at that time) so just keep that in mind.

Crohn's :: 2007

Current Status: Lots of pain and not unable to work
Surgeries:
* 2007 & 2011 ~ Open Small bowel resections
* 2013 & 2014 ~ adhesion lyses and endometriosis cauterization

Current IBD Tx:
* Remicade IV every 6 wks
* Methotrexate injections weekly
* Zofran before every meal and bed
* Vit B-12 injections monthly

Because having Crohn's isn't enough...
Dx: Inflammatory Arthritis, Migraines, Endometriosis, Excessive Daytime Sleepiness, & Fibromyalgia
01-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I was prescribed it for neurological issues but never took it. Hearing these side effects I'm not encouraged.
01-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
poppets mum

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the replies. Apparantely it is supposed to help with IBS type pain. Supposed to help neuropathic pain. I guess we will have to see what happens in the next few days.
01-16-2014, 03:26 AM   #8
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope it helps soon. My daughter had it for a little while, but it never did much. My mom tried it too and ended up feeling quite confused and irritable on it.
01-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Naturelover

My Support Groups:
You can check here for side effects:
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/gabapentin-side-effects.html

In the CRPS/RSD community gabapentin (Neurontin) is known as "Morontin" because it makes you sound like a moran. It messes with your brain. I had one friend that was on a high dose to control pain that she could no longer drive due to the cognitive side effects from gabapentin.

You can safely start Cymbalta while comming off of the gabapentin. You can reduce the dose of gabapentin faster than you can increase it.

Cymbalta worked better for my issues, but it isn't without side effects either. At least I was no longer a moran. LOL!

DX:
MTHFR - Compound Heterozygeous for C677T & A1298C Dx 3/2015
Gluten Free Diet 3/2015
Multiple vitamin/mineral deficiencies & toxicity dx 3/2015
Osteoporosis dx 2014
Colonic Inflammation - granula mucosa dx 1/2014
6mm Tubular Adenoma removed 12/2013
Delayed Colonic Transit/Inertia 11/2013
Severe Constipation
CRPS/RSD 2010
IBS

RX: Bard Power Port, IV Home Hydration
01-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
araceli
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My son is on it for chronic pain, it is an anti seizure medication that works for various types of pain. It takes a while to start working. It can cause constipation or diarrhea, I believe. He is getting better but he is on other meds too. He started with one pill for one week, 2 the second week and 3 the third week.
Current meds.
Remicade since Nov. 2012
Supplements
5000 Vit. D, Multi-Vitamins with Iron
Currently in REMISSION :dance

Mom/ 16 boy
Amplified musculoskeletal pain
Prior. Prednisone, sulfasadine,
Currently. Celebrex, gabapentin, amitriptyline.
01-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The pain clinic wanted to put DS on it prior to remicade starting to work.
The clinic thought the pain was Ibs related .

We decided to wait for remicade and use a tens unit instead .
Turns out it was crohn's related .
01-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
I took it during a few months in order to prevent seizure. I would feel spaced out. I remember laying down and feeling like my body was floating but not like it does with pain killer. It's hard to even word the feeling. I never saw a difference with my GI tract though.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
01-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
poppets mum

My Support Groups:
Ooh it doesn't sound good at all. Think I will have to chat with doctor. Just saw GI who doesn't seem to think it is very effective either.