• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cholestyramine Advice??

Hi,

I just got this large can of Cholestyramine and I can't get myself to try it yet..

It's this yellow powder and comes with a 1gram scooper. Which looks like a lot.

Am I always supposed to take a whole scoop every time I eat? Or only for large meals? I usually have smaller meals or snacks throughout the day.

How much liquid do I need to mix it in?

What drinks do you mix it with?

I'm worried that if it tastes bad I'm going to have a lot of trouble taking it.

I thought the dr said it came in packets and I was supposed to put it over food. Then I see this giant tub I'm supposed to drink.

Appreciate any advice, I need a push!

I have the packets and just mix it in water. How often you take it depends on how much will get you by.

When I am working my regular job, I take it before I go to work. I only take it once a day when working. I usually don't take it at all if I am at home or working in our office.

On a long car ride I take it. Basically it is for convenience and if it might be awhile to find a rest room. I always have some with me.

It does not taste good or that bad. It is fairly tasteless but kind of gritty.

Go for it. Take a big ole gulp. I have had worse.

Dan

I take this twice a day . Before taking you should consult your pharmasist . This drug interacts with almost all drugs . I take my other medicines two hour before taking the cholestyramine or six hours after . You should check because your other medicine may not be working to their fullest .