Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Side effects of MRI Scan

01-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Jo21

Side effects of MRI Scan

Hello
I have suspected Ulcerative colitis. Been on steriod treatment with a reducing dose for 6 weeks which i started to become ill again on just the one tablet a day. They put me on the higher dose again and i was fine up until my mri. It was a week ago now, and i was very sick with the contrast and the clear out drink and ever since my stomach hasnt been the same. For two nights now i have been passing extremely bloody stools (bright red). Do you think the MRI preparation has caused this? anyone with similar experience?
Thanks
05-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Jessi

My Support Groups:
Jo, I'm very sorry that it's taken so long to get a reply for this post, and I'm even more sorry that I don't have an answer for your question. I have been lucky enough to not have to do an MRI as of yet. But I'm sending you hugs and hope you feel better.

Dx'd with Psoriasis in 1993
Dx'd with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2004
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis on May 18, 2011

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anon.
05-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Daisy123
I had a CT scan recently. I was awfully ill for about three days with diarrhoea, I discovered the prep I had to drink was a laxative. But it is concerning that your stools are bloody. You might want to check with your doctor
05-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'd be shocked if MRI contrast caused bleeding. Gadolinium is generally pretty safe and it goes directly into the blood and bypasses the GI. Even oral contrast prep should not cause bleeding.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Side effects of MRI Scan