Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » How can I stop the bleeding?

01-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
barelyalive

How can I stop the bleeding?

Another superflare started in early December and is now accelerating with vigor. I am bleeding more than I ever have before, literally at least a teaspoon full 5-10 times per day. I started smoking again, upped my lialda dosage, and amped up my canasa and cortifoam useage...whats left to do???

As for the smoking - I had always been a Marlboro Lights smoker but have only been smoking American Spirit perique - could Marlboro lights have some toxin that helps stop reduce the flare???

I am worried about doing Humira or Remicade as I have had a couple of bad PSA results lately and next one means biopsy - Ive read those drugs can really accelerate cancer.

Thanks

Chron's Disease
Ulcerative Colitis
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Diverticulosis
Hiatal Hernia
Barrett's Esophagus
Severe Sleep Apnea

Stuff I take:

Lialda
Prilosec
Probiotics
Multivitamins
Peppermint Oil Pills
Fennel Seed
Activated Charcoal
L-Glutamine
Magnesium
Slippery Elm

FECO

Cymbalta
01-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
BowelMeOver

I'm so sorry to read of the troubles you are going through, and hope you find a solution soon to settle down your flare.

I would be concerned to discuss smoking with you, as you have both Crohns and UC listed as your diagnosis.
It is thought that smoking "could be" beneficial in controlling the bleeding for those with UC, but it has a less than favorable effect on people with Crohns.

My husband was diagnosed with UC in March of last year, after quitting smoking a year prior. I don't want to condone smoking to anyone, but he continued to bleed even after being prescribed Lialda, Asacol, Imuran, Prednisone and then finally Humira combined with Imuran.
The bleeding did not cease until he started smoking a couple of cigarettes a day.

While controlling the bleeding will help some symptoms of this disease, such as anemia, it does not stop the damage being done.
My husband eventually had to have his colon removed in September, and while he no longer has UC symptoms, he now has a mean nicotine addiction.

I wish you the best in finding something that works for you. I'll be rooting for you!
Contrast enema + flex scope 11-18-2013 = approved for reversal!
Reversal scheduled for December 19th. Egads!

Sometimes hope is the best medicine. Don't give up!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » How can I stop the bleeding?