• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need some help

Hey I need some help... I drank a little last night about 4 glasses of wine and a beer, not much for my usual tolerance, but I ended up having the absolute worst stomach pain of my life for 45 minutes. I'm not sure what happened, can anyone help me? This has never happened to me before, I even drank more than that the night before.

Hi,
I'm not sure what you suffered last night. If you have had a few drinks and suffered I think it may be a little too early to link it to anything at this stage. If you have had this before with drink, food or just at random times then I would say its time to go see your doc and have some basic tests done.
It could be a hundred different things from food poisoning to gastroenteritis. I would not link it to drinking straight away as I have chronic Crohn's yet can still drink without too many issues.
If it continues go see your doc and get some advice
Sorry I can't be more help, don't worry at this stage and keep an eye on what may trigger it if it happens again.

I do have Crohn's, I was recently diagnosed about a week and a half ago and now I take ectocort every day. Ive drank more in the past, but this is only the second time ive drank while taking ectocort. Could ectocort have something to do with it? That would be the only thing that makes sense to me, I've had some terribly intense stomach pain before from just food, but none of it compared to how bad this was.

Hi Michael,
In that case at this stage it's probably safe to say alcohol does affect the way your crohns reacts. My only advice is to go cold turkey for a while and let it settle. If after you have a drink and the same happens then you will know for sure.
This crohns is unforgiving, there seem to be no rules as to when its going to bite.
Different foods, drinks and life circumstances all seem to play a part.
Everyone is different and it affects everyone differently.
Aren't we the lucky ones...... Not