• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello everyone, my name is India I'm 29 and am originally from Boston, MA
I've lived in Michigan since 2001 and was diagnosed with Crohn's Colitis
In May of 2013. I was put on Prednisone immediately and ended up
Needing emergency resectional surgery in June 2013. I had a decent job and awesome insurance at the time of my hospitalizations but in August of 2013 I lost both of those things and many other things I couldn't financially afford any longer. Since then I've tried to obtain unemployment, disability, and health insurance and have been denied every time. Post surgery I was supposed to begin remicade infusions immediately which I was and still am unable to do due to the lack of insurance and transportation. My Partner is the only person I have here in MI and it seems extremely difficult to get the things I need here. My family, all of which reside in Boston have suggested that I relocate back home where it would be easier to get the help I need. I've always been very healthy collegiate athlete and all and this is very new and a tad bit scary for me. I'm afraid if I don't get the treatment I need soon my symptoms will worsen. I'm currently taking over the counter pain medication and supplements because it's all I'm able to do momentarily. I feel like time is working against me & my patience has exasperated. I just pray that I make the right decision if I do in fact decide to leave and return home. That's not my entire story but it's a good portion of it. I look forward to the insight I feel this group will give me. Thanks for reading. :)

nogutsnoglory

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear of your turn of events. I am assuming you know that you could be on COBRA and continue the insurance but at the higher premium you probably couldn't afford. Have you looked at the healthcare exchange aka Obamacare?

I've checked out ObamaCare online and was told I didn't qualify for whatever
Reasons. Didn't make sense to me. I can't afford anything right now so COBRA wouldn't be an option for me either. I think the best thing for me to do is go home. MA is a Commonwealth unlike MI. You don't have to sacrifice your first born to get a little help. I've worked since I was 14 and have never been sick prior to this. Never thought it would be so difficult.

nogutsnoglory

I don't understand how you can't qualify for Obamacare or Medicaid. Can you call up on the phone and tell them and see what they say? They also have an online chat.