• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mouth biopsies -mouth ulcers

my little penguin

Staff member
DS gets recurring mouth ulcers .
If we can discern a pattern GI wants to biopsy .
Anyone else have this done ??
Didn't go into what the benefit would be or why??

I don't know if you have switched toothpastes, etc over time, but my son used to have frequent mouth ulcers. Switched his toothpaste to Biodene and has been ulcer free since August! Sodium lauryl sulfate is in most toothpastes and people prone to mouth sores/ulcers are encouraged to avoid it.

I purchase it at Walgreens. It seems pricy at first, but one tube lasts months.

He can't use any mouthrinse because it he always gets more mouth ulcers when using the rinse.

Hope you are able to clear them up and keep them away!

my little penguin

Staff member
Concern is over infection since DS gets a lot of infections cellulitis / folliculitis and needs bactroban cream for all cuts . Also to determine if there are any granulomas.
DS has a lot of extra stuff going on and the docs are looking to see if there is any clues to the extra stuff.

Including weird skin rashes so not just mouth ulcers

I am going to ask how this would factor into things and treatment etc..?

I wasn't prepared to discuss it today .
Need to regroup
Research here
Get opinions
Then call and ask questions.

J had biopsy of mouth ulcers at point of diagnoses, under general whilst having scopes. He did have nearly 40 in his mouth at the time!

He has continued to have problems but he too changed toothpaste in early November and the difference has been huge. We were using one purchased from health food shop but when we saw dentist in December he recommend ProNamel from the Sensodyne range. It doesn't have the sls in it but does have fluoride.

He has had two ulcers since changing which we treat quickly with one table of predisolone dissolved as a mouth wash for a couple of days.

Getting rid of this pain has been so beneficial for J, has changed his mental outlook a lot.

Ands xxxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
About 6 months before Matt was diagnosed and when there no indication that he had Crohn’s he suffered with mouth ulcers. Not masses of them, just one or two at a time but constantly. I did research it quite a bit and settled on giving him a B Complex tab daily. It did resolve the issue so stopped using them and he has never had them back again.

I know Dexky’s lad had quite a bit of trouble with them and IIRC he settled on B Complex and Miracle (Magic) Mouthwash with success.

Dusty. xxx

Josh has a mass of mouth ulcers before his diagnoises. We were told when he had scopes etc that he also has orofacial granulomatosis [ofg ], which is a symptom of crohns disease. Since being on meds most of this has cleared up, but I know some can have far more long term problems with it.

Lucy had mouth ulcers biopsied at time of diagnosis when she was being scoped under ga. The GI came out to get consent on the day as the hadn't done it prior to her going in, he explained the what why etc but for the life of me I can't remember - I got such a fight when he came out to me I thought something had happened and I was so relieved she was ok I would have signed anything:) she had however had numerous bouts of mouth ulcers however more recently GI felt they wrote due to methotrexate and not crohns