• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Living with Crohn's

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 10 yrs ago suffered with perianal abscesses every couple of months and painful stomach pains with bloating a sigmoidoscopy showed ulcers in the large bowel but small bowel was clear , I was prescribed steroids for 6 months without success then infliximab infusions aswell as taking pentasa on a daily basis again with no success after numerous operations to help cure the abscesses I then had 2 fistula where the abscesses had been which wouldn't heal I was so upset and angry and though why was this happening to me . I had numerous hospital admissions with the Crohn's flaring up over the years but it finally came to a head in Feb 2012 when after a smal l pv bleed I needed 4 units of blood then another 3 units 2 weeks later , I mentioned this to my surgeon at the time who ordered a colonoscopy which was inconclusive things settled down I went back to work started to feel unwell Dec 2012 put it down to stress got admitted in Jan 2013 with Crohn's flare up again had CT done which showed nearly all of large bowel very inflamed and rectum looked abnormal saw my surgeon 1 week later to be told there was nothing could be done a panproctocolectomy was my only option I had the surgery in may 2013 and things are going well still suffer with some bloating and wind pain but it can take up to a year to settle down.

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, dml!

I'm glad things have finally gotten better for you. It sounds like it's been a rough journey. :(

You might be interested in the Surgery forum (you can follow that link to it). The surgery forum also contains a Fistulas, Fissures, and Abscesses subforum, where you could probably offer a lot of beneficial advice to others.

:hug: I hope things continue to go well for you!

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us :) This forum is amazing for info and support. Ask anything, tons of peeps on here that are likely in the same boat