Share Facebook

01-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

Spot or abscess

Hey all, I've had a couple of abscesses before, but it was that long ago I can't remember what they felt like in the early stages.

Last night I noticed I had a small pea sized lump in the fleshy area between my groin and rectum that is sore, it has no head and nothing comes out when I squeeze it. I've noticed I can get my fingers underneath it when I squeeze it. I'm sat down at a desk all day which probably doesn't help.

Does this sound like a spot or the start of an abscess. I got no problem going to the docs but I'd rather not have another surgery and I don't want to trouble them unnessecarily. But I know if it's caught early enough the recovery will be a lot easier!
Meds: Azathioprine

"It's life Jim but not as we know it!"
01-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Given your history it sounds like it very well may be an abscess. I think you are smart to get it checked out and dealt with early.
01-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

Mystery over my GP thinks abscess, but luckily it's been caught very early 5 day course of cipro to try and shift it. Fingers crossed!
01-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I hope the antibiotics will resolve it. Given that it's external you have a better shot. I know it's not draining but sitz baths couldn't hurt to ease it up and help it open up and drain.
01-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

What are sitz baths? Never had those before. Hoping the antibiotics clears it up too, don't want any more surgery just yet, had enough of that lately.
01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
A sitz bath is lukewarm water in a basin that you sit in for 10-15 min. It keeps the area clean and the heat can help to expedite healing. Some also add Epsom salt to the basin.
01-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

Lol Ohhhh I did that fOr an old abscess it swelled to the size of a grape and burst everywhere. If that's the general idea I may aswell just soak in a warm tub for half hour.
01-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
You can soak in a tub too. The basin is just more convenient if you do it multiple times a day or after each bowel movement.
01-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
mish2575

My Support Groups:
I have these boils in my groin/buttock area. I have a form of Hidradenitis. If you can not squeeze it, it will go away faster. Its much easier said than done though.

I love sitz baths. if you do one, I would recommend using Epsom salt in it.
Now that I'm a mom though, I prefer to take a bath. Its a nice relaxation away from mom duties for a 1/2 hour.
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

Yeah going to have a bath in a minute, just waiting for the Yankee candles to get the room smelling nice :-)
02-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
mish2575

My Support Groups:
Got a new Hidradenitis absess and had to bust out the sitz bath last night. ?(

How is your absess doing?