• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What inflammatory conditions don't show up on the sed rate test?

My ESR test came back as a two, however, one only has to look at the back of my throat and feel the glands in my neck to see and feel inflammation. I've also been getting inflammation in my extremities as well as my colon, not to mention dry eyes with inflammation. There is also some sort of inflammation near my right hip. This is very confusing to me. Are there any factors that could cause the test not to show inflammation? What type of inflammatory conditions do not show up on a sed rate test?

I have found SED rate and ESR tests to be surprisingly inaccurate. I can literally be hospitalized and getting scheduled for surgeries, but my inflammation markers are never elevated.

Thanks everyone. I'll share with my doc when I see her soon. I will let her know I'm confused. I wish I had a dx. At least I would know what I was dealing with. Everything is always such a surprise because I don't know what may come down the pike next. I also don't know what to watch for in order to keep ahead of things. :confused2:

My Sed rate came back normal and i had an endoscopy a week later showing chronic gastritis and esophagitis and edema/hypermia in the beginning of my small intestine. I also feel what i believe is inflammation in my joints at times.