Share Facebook

01-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
k.laws

Naturally Fighting Crohns

Hey everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with the SCD diet or the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle.

I was diagnosed with severe Crohns last April (2013) after weeks stay in the hospital and put on prednisone for three months and 75mg of Imuran. (no surgery) Within 6 months miraculously I had achieved remission seen in my colonoscopy and we were amazed.

However.. with the Imuran I have been catching so many sicknesses. I got mono, the flu, and many colds in between in this short period.. while I used to rarely get sick.

Because I have been in remission and doing so well.. and the Imuran has had such rough side effects.. I have really been considering doing the SCD diet long term as long as I can. The side effects have been worse for me than Crohns itself.

I have been gluten free for many years and dairy limited.. and the diet seems to play a huge role for me. I also take probiotics, fish oil, vitamin D, and zinc.

Do any of y'all have experience with this or thoughts with this?

I am needing to come off Imuran soon anyways because the doctors don't want me on it long term. So I can either move to a Biologic (ex. remicade) or try natural. I am doing so good so it is hard to make the decision to go on such a big medicine.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your thoughts/ideas.
01-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Josephine

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum, I can not often words of wisdom. Good luck.

Sacroiliitis and add to grew list auto immune diseases.

Now on Lansprazole 15 mg And Gavin son 5mg-10mg 3a day.

Crohns from Oct 2007
Domperidone 10 mg -20 mg, Mebeverine 135 mg,
3 a day.
Balsalazide 750 mg 3 X3 a day on going.
Bone protection.

Azathioprine is not working, still waiting to find out what next. Still on low dosage Prednisolone

Mesalamine Enema

No Wheat

English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.
01-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
JMC

For me, taking azathioprine/imuran actually stopped me from picking up so many infections. I have a flu jab every year, but now rarely get colds, whereas in the time before I was taking it, I was always plagued with flu/cold like symptoms. I believe in some cases those symptoms are related to Crohns.

As for diet, there are some people who believe that Crohns can be controlled by diet alone, but I would say those doctors are in a small minority. My view is that getting my diet right has made a substantial improvement to my well being, but I would still take azathioprine. The best way to know what works for you is by experimentation and keeping a food diary. You also need to be aware of the signs of problematic food, e.g. racing heartbeat, drowsiness, stomach cramps, etc.