• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trouble Colonoscopy prep?

My last dec.2013, colonoscopy The prep. was changed and i thought that was it i almost pass out. Lucky i thought of cold compress and my huband put it on my neck and i woke me up. I told my doc. at the hospital and he was shock. It was the gatorade mix with miralax. never had this prep before. The prep is the hard part for me. wipes me out. what about you guys? I used to use as they said the Jug mix with water. Let me your storys it could help others. and me

My advice would be don't go mad on the eating before you start your prep. It is very tempting to load up on food as you know you will be going a long time without. But the more that's in there, the more that has to come out. I had a pretty normal/plain meal before hand and my prep was fairly relaxed.

For me the worst thing about the prep is I lost several lbs after it! Weight that I can't afford to lose

I didn't like the flavour they sent to me, so I added some juice, it worked just as well and the colonscopy went ok, that was back in March 13, got to have another one later this month, oh the joys of Crohns .

The Miralax/Gatorade prep was the easiest prep for me. I've done 8 bowel preps and 2 of those were Miralax/Gatorade.

I had an issue last time where I had to do another prep once I got to the hospital. So, this time, I tried going very light on food the day before the day before. Here I am, prep'ing, with only 2 hours to check in, and my system still doesn't seem fully cleaned out. Ugh. I have followed the directions given by the dr. to the T. I just seem to take longer to clean out. Next time, I will do 2 days of all liquid. I can spare the weight, so thankfully, that isn't an issue for me.

Anyone else have a hard time getting to clear/yellow?

At my last colonoscopy my doctor put me on Halflytely for prep.

Shortly before the procedure, I passed out with my limbs flailing involuntarily. The nurse had to use smelling salt to snap me out of it.

From now on I am using barium.

They are all vile, it is only relative degrees of vile. The smaller the volume I have to take the better.

Yep! All vile. MoviPrep is horrible because they put the flavoring in w/the solution so you have no choice as to whether or not you want to add it. MoviPrep is very accidic.

I've found biscodyl tablets in addition to Miralax works great and I don't get all the nausea.

I have never done a prep without vomiting. It is so wonderful (NOT!). The miralax/gatorade prep is the best, but the volume of liquid is too much, and I always vomit. For the last 2 scopes, after the procedure, I have a hard time taking in liquid, and ended up in the ER due to dehydration, so I've needed IV fluids. I hate the colonoscopy with a burning hatred, but unfortunately, I need one annually.