Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » SCD as the only treatment for Crohn’s disease

02-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Deucewarrior

SCD as the only treatment for Crohn’s disease

Hello,

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in July of 2013 and have yet to get on medicine as the diagnosis process and even eligibility process for certain medicines took until just last week. Due to another medical condition, the only medicines I can take according to my doctor are azathioprine and methotrexate. Well, both scare the hell out of me. I have been doing some research and I was lead to the specific carbohydrate diet.

I need to know:

1. Has this diet worked for anybody on this forum as the only treatment?

2. Have colonoscopies and MRI’s proved that the ulcers are gone?

Please help me with this... thank you!
02-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
hugh

My Support Groups:
There are alot of us who swear by it (SCD/Paleo/GAPS/ancestral diet), and probably more who think it's rubbish, either because it didn't work for them, or because they don't believe it could work.

Results seem to vary, and common sense needs to be used.

I started with SCD but quickly moved to paleo as it allows carbs (tubers) and i have had great improvements (normal pooh and weight gain).
Since then i have moved again to the 'Perfect Health Diet' and it is working for me. This variant of 'ancestral' diets allows white rice so compliance is much easier but i have heard from others that they do better on low carb.

Start with SCD and learn as you go, read the other posts and see what works for you.
For some a huge improvement is made simply by giving up all gluten, others need to do more
02-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
scooby100

My Support Groups:
On top of hugh comment - my 2 cents as per the experience with my daughter and exploring this topic heavily during the past year:
SCD is a legitimate treatment, medicines are not less legitimate - its wrong to neglect any option that can bring to remission / cure.
More than that - I would assume that upon the seriousness of your disease one of the main targets in the short term is to get into remission - the sooner the better.
Later on - u can assess how to keep it for as long as possible and attack the disease with the multiple weapons available.
AZA takes few months to work in any case – so what I would suggest (what we did in our case) – to start SCD and AZA in parallel – keeping an eye on side effects, symptoms, progress. (BTW - Before that – she did 8 weeks enteral nutrition together with very short steroids cycle to calm down the system quickly.)
SCD results were (and still are) visible much before AZA started to build up in the system.
We still proceed with both treatments – and will take decisions in a later stage how to continue in the future – as of now we use both.
02-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I am just over 2 months on the Paleo diet and feel great, no symptoms, and a scope has revealed very little inflammation, so no meds currently. I have looked into SCD, and I think the intro diet (2-5 days) would be very useful if a person were experiencing inflammation, cramping, diarrhea. SCD is similar to Paleo, except SCD doesn't allow starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, and Paleo does. Paleo doesn't allow dairy products, and SCD allows homemade yogurt and most hard cheeses. As Hugh says, use common sense, start with SCD and see what happens. Gluten and dairy are the most obvious foods that may cause problems for people with IBD.
Also, if you have confidence in your medical professionals, follow their advice along with using your common sense re diet changes.
Good luck and good health!
02-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
ferriswheel

Hi,

I started Paleo mid-2013. In Dec 2013, I was diagnosed with Crohn's after a colonoscopy. I am asymptomatic but was previously diagnosed with IBS. Only thing, in hindsight, is a small eczema on right hand.

I was prescribed Asacol and have not yet taken it. I now started following SCD. Did Intro over weekend and find I am now very constipated. BM every 2 days.

Question: Is SCD for someone who had no bowel movement issues? Is constipation normal when starting SCD? Also, being asymptomatic, how do we know what foods are an issue for us?

Thanks for any comments.

All the best!
02-14-2014, 02:38 AM   #6
hugh

My Support Groups:
Hi,

I started Paleo mid-2013. In Dec 2013, I was diagnosed with Crohn's after a colonoscopy. I am asymptomatic but was previously diagnosed with IBS. Only thing, in hindsight, is a small eczema on right hand.

I was prescribed Asacol and have not yet taken it. I now started following SCD. Did Intro over weekend and find I am now very constipated. BM every 2 days.

Question: Is SCD for someone who had no bowel movement issues? Is constipation normal when starting SCD? Also, being asymptomatic, how do we know what foods are an issue for us?

Thanks for any comments.

All the best!
Did you start with the intro diet?
What are you eating?
Hard to give any advice without knowing your diet.

Maybe more liquids or more fat may help - coconut oil is good, but more info is needed
02-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
ferriswheel

Thanks for the quick reply Hugh. I did the intro (2 days) without any milk products last Saturday and Sunday. Did I start with Intro? Yes. This week I've been consuming Eggs, meats (chicken, beef, liver, pork), spinach, butternut squash, banana, zucchini and chicken soup. All meals with minimal fat, as I understood it should be. And Apple Cider watered down and some coffee (2x a day) and 1 green tea a day. Lost 3lbs also this week. And drinking ALOT of water!
02-15-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
hugh

My Support Groups:
Did you have constipation on paleo?
Or is it just since starting SCD?

If it is just since you started SCd then it is probably because you are not eating something on SCD that you were eating on Paleo

Do a web search, lots of people report constipation as a result of SCD

I've always enjoyed Eugenia's post on food and health
Fixing constipation
"Apparently, a lot of people (with IBS or not) get constipated on Paleo/SCD at first, because they enter these diets with a badly altered gut flora. Eating “more fiber”, doesn’t really help."
"....a comment on PaleoHacks.com made me see the light. The guy said something to the effect of “diarrhea is usually the outcome of some food that shouldn’t have been consumed, and constipation is food that should have been consumed, but it wasn’t“."
http://eugenia.queru.com/2011/11/15/...-constipation/

or SCD Lifestyle
6 Real Food Tips for Overcoming Constipation
http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real...-constipation/
to sum it up-
-Fat
-Prebiotics
-Carbohydrates
-Probiotics
-Prunes
-Salt
02-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
MamaHenn

My Support Groups:
I am very interested in this thread. I am new here, having stumbled upon this forum after my 10 year old son was diagnosed last week (his only symptoms thus far are poor weight gain and anemia). I know this type of diet will be incredibly hard for a 10 year old but I'm willing to try it. At this point we're waiting to speak to a second or third doctor for other opinions/guidance as we're not too happy with the GI doc that we currently have. It is all so very confusing and I often times wonder if it is just a shot in the dark. Quite honestly (I can already feel eye rolling ;-) )I feel like this forum (whole thing, not this particular subforum) are very "medication centric". I sort of feel like people are secretly laughing at me for asking about anything alternative because they've all been there/done that and had to go on meds. Sigh. It is all so very overwhelming.

In any event, any experices/advice with children would be most welcome.
02-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
DustyKat
Super Moderator

It certainly is overwhelming MamaHenn.

I just want to reassure you that no one is judging the decisions you make or the questions you ask. I know it is hard not to feel that everything revolves around medication on here because much of it does and it is as you have observed, diet has failed and they end up on meds. That is not to say that diet doesn’t work for some because indeed it does.

I imagine that parent’s have responded to your previous posts and suggested that diet alone will not be adequate for your son in the long term? Unfortunately when IBD strikes at a young age the prognosis, in most cases, is not as positive as latter teen or adult onset disease. It has a tendency to be more severe with a more difficult treatment path and I imagine this is the angle they are coming from.

I think you will find many are like scooby and use diet, in varying forms, supplementation and medication as way of staying on top of things.

There are no wrong or right answers here, just what works for you and you alone. It is a highly individual disease and what works for one won’t necessarily work for another whether it be diet or medication.

The one stable I have found is to never become so enamoured with one treatment that you fail to see what is in front of your eyes and again I am not just talking about diet here, again it applies to everything.

Failure to thrive is a worrying symptom in a child, even without other overt symptoms of disease. I know there would be many parents that have tried SCD and I know one in particular did try it with his 10 year old son but his reason for discontinuing was he could not maintain an acceptable weight for a growing boy whilst his lad was on it.

My son does not follow any particular diet but we do tend to eat as little processed food as possible and being in a rural area we do grow a fair bit of veg and cold climate fruits and are able to have our meat butchered, so that is free range and grass fed. He does tend to gravitate to what resembles a more low residue diet, so very bland. It seems to be what he is comfortable with.

My daughter on the other hand follows are fairly strict vegan/raw vegan diet. It suits her very well and she says she feels the most well following this type of diet. I know for many here though a vegan diet would be very difficult.

Good luck mum, I hope you are able to find a diet that suits and works well.

Dusty. xxx

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » SCD as the only treatment for Crohn’s disease