• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine and Pentasa side effects

Iwas diagnosed Crohn's in 1990, I had a resection in 1991 and since then I have been taking Azathioprine 75mg per day and until 2011 4gm of Pentasa.
I have just been diagnosed with a Kidney Failure, about 45% of full function.
A suspected thought is that the long term use of one or other of the two drugs hav damaged my kidneys. There is no going back, the damage is done. Is there a proven alternative to Azathioprine out there. Anyone any knowledge of other with Kidney damage from treatment for Crohn's.

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Portugal! Sorry to hear what you're dealing with. :(

Have you taken any other medications? Methotrexate, Humira, Remicade, Cimzia, and alternative treatments such as LDN may still be options for you. I don't know off the top of my head if any of these would complicate your kidney problems, however.

You might consider posting your question about kidney damage in the General IBD Discussion forum. You'll likely get more responses there.

Does your doctor have any suggestions for you?

:hug: I hope things get better for you soon!