Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Reconnection Surgery Dilema


02-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
olivia
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
l'

lm

Last edited by olivia; 03-22-2014 at 06:22 PM.
02-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
blackli
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Burlington Ontario

My Support Groups:
I'd say go for it ASAP, get your life back! best of luck!
02-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
LemSat87
 
LemSat87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Voorhees, New Jersey

My Support Groups:
I honestly would say this isn't a decision to be made with haste, but they do need to know. I would say to see what risk you stand of missing school and what will have to be done.

I'm having reconnection surgery myself in just over 3 weeks, I wouldn't want to wait any longer myself!

Best of luck!
__________________
Diagnosed with Crohns Disease in January 2012.

Colon Perforated March 2013, total of 3 feet of intestine removed and temp ileostomy placed.
ileostomy take down March 2014
Hernia repair June 2015 in surgical area from 2 prior surgeries
Perianal abscess found Feb 2017 with subsequent fistula discovery & seton placement March 2017 w/2 additional seton drains placed May 2017
Have surgery pending to remove gallbladder & repair hernia along a prior surgical site.
02-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Nyx
Moderator
 
Nyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Barrie, Ontario

My Support Groups:
I guess you need to take into account how much school you'll be missing and if it's worth it to be behind. I know using up your summer holidays isn't ideal either, but at least you'd be on track with school.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what's best for you. Good luck! I hope whatever you decide makes you happy
__________________
Cindy

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

02-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory
Moderator
 
nogutsnoglory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York

My Support Groups:
It's only a decision you can make because you know how you feel about it and what the challenges will be if you go for it now or later.

Personally I would go for it, it's making you upset. It's understandable and your school should work with you. The reversal is easier to recover from than the actual ostomy surgery for obvious reasons but still is nothing to huff at.

Wishing you a best result n
02-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
fozheart
Senior Member
 
fozheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Newport News, Virginia

My Support Groups:
Hi Olivia,

What great news that your doctor feels that you are ready to have the surgery! It will take some commitment to nake up your schoolwork, but it sounds like you have been waitingfor this time to come!
02-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
SarahBear
Moderator
 
SarahBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charleston, West Virginia

My Support Groups:
Would you be able to talk with a counselor or your teachers at school tomorrow and find out how accommodating they'll be if you take time off to have the surgery? That would be a deciding factor if I were in your situation. If you'll still be able to keep up with your school work and you'll be happier after the surgery, then why wait? If your grades will suffer for having the surgery now, then it may be best to wait. It's a difficult situation, trying to balance health and school.
__________________


Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

02-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
fozheart
Senior Member
 
fozheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Newport News, Virginia

My Support Groups:
Any decisions made, olivia? I hope things are going ok!
03-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
olivia
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
my parents decided itd be best if i wait till summer. As much as i hate that idea i know its the best decision. thanks for asking!
03-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
fozheart
Senior Member
 
fozheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Newport News, Virginia

My Support Groups:
Summer will be here before you know it- hang in there!
Reply

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Reconnection Surgery Dilema
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.
Copyright 2006-2017 Crohnsforum.com