Share Facebook

02-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Memmy29

My Support Groups:
Active Crohn's- TTC

I've had active Crohn's since I was 9 (21 years) and have decided to try to become pregnant. I've been off MTX for a year, and have been doing well on just Cimzia. In the past two months or so, my disease has become really active. I'm running to the bathroom 12 times a day, losing weight like crazy (40 pounds over 6 months), and have lots of abdominal pain.

My doctor says to start Uceris, which I did, but it gives me crazy gas and cramping and has messed up two of my menstrual cycles. I wound up getting a period every two weeks for about two months.

I'm trying to tough it out on the Cimzia alone, but I'm exhausted and dehydrated. Am I crazy for continuing to TTC with Crohn's this bad? I'm turning 31 soon and I feel like it's now or never. Has anyone else gone this route?

Last edited by Memmy29; 02-11-2014 at 06:56 PM.
02-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
mish2575

My Support Groups:
Pregnancy halted my Crohns symptoms.
02-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
Hi, Memmy! How are you feeling now?

Personally, I don't know anything about the effects of Cimzia on pregnancy. I'm going to move your thread into the Pregnancy / TTC section of the forum, though.

I would absolutely try to get my Crohn's under control before conceiving. While some people do find relief from their symptoms while pregnant, there's a lot of risk to both you and the baby.

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

02-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
bettyboop12

My Support Groups:
Do you think you could handle potential morning sickness at the moment given your dehydrated and exhausted?

I'm ttc myself... I'm 35 this year so time is ticking for me! At 31 I think you are still young and my opinion would be to get your flare under control first.

Good luck with your decision, hope you feel better soon.

Xxx
Just started actimel sept 13
02-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Me my,
Definitly try to get the Crohn's under control before trying to conceive. Have you spoken with your doctor about the fact that you are trying to conceive? I would also make an appt with a perinatologist for prepregnancy planning. Good luck!

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.