• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed with Crohn's

Hi I am new to this forum. I was just diagnosed in November and my doc put me on Humira. He then told me I needed to be on Imuran as well to prevent resistence to Humira. I have a mild case and it concerns me to be taking such a powerful drug just as a precaution. It's also making my hair fall out I think. I have been suffering from infertility as well for 3 years and want to get pregnant on these medications which are not recommended. Is anyone on Imuran only to prevent Humira resistence? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Emh!

I personally have no experience with Humira and Imuran together, but I have heard of this before.

Is your inflammation considered mild, or your symptoms? The two don't always correlate. Personally, in your situation, I would ask my doctor why Humira was chosen as the best option for me and ask if I could switch to a different medication, at least while trying to conceive. However, please give the medication a chance to put you in remission before you conceive, as pregnancy while flaring can be risky for both you and the baby.

Thanks Sarahbear. My doc told me my case was a 3-4 out of 10 and my symptoms are mild. It's been 3 months on humira and I'm going next week to see if I'm in remission. Fingers crossed!

It is always worth a second or third opinion. No offense to doctors reading this, but medicine has failed so many times that I need to get other opinions...