• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's normal?

A week ago last Saturday I had my first normal BM in at least 10 years. It was one week after my 2nd Remacade infusion. After 4 soft but formed stools, I didn't go for 3 days. On the 4th day, I had horrible cramping before I was able to go accompanied by sweating and straining. Just before I was ready to go to ER I went. Stool was formed and after more pushing and straining I ended with diarrhea. I have to say the toilet was FILLED with a huge amount and I don't eat that much. Then I went 4 days with no BM and it ended when I took Exlax (one quarter of the suggested amount)--not the best but it was all I had on hand. Once again the cramping was frightening. Now, I am scared to death to go to the bathroom, more scared than when I had diarrhea because at least it came out. This is like giving birth. Now if the stool was ribbon-like I would worry about a blockage but it's not. Is my body just getting used to normalcy?

Sounds normal,don,t strain it won,t help,the trots for me after a big motion was my normal but it got better,don,t take laxatives unless your doc said so give them a phone to double check.
My gi nurse is a fountain of advice and when I had gone almost a week without going to the toilet gave 2 simple pieces of advice 1if you haven,t been for few days but are ok otherwise eat a small piece of trigger food(melon for me).
2 don,t strain on the toilet,rest your feet on a couple of books just think about the position,works for me!
This avoids more drugs and hassle but if all else fails go to your doctor.good luck
P.s lots of fluid