Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » First port access tomorrow

02-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
kristihelene

My Support Groups:
First port access tomorrow

It's been 4 weeks since my power port was placed -- it's still sore, but I'm assuming that's normal since it's a foreign device in there?! Anyway tomorrow is my port access prior to an MRI - as per your suggestions, I did pick up emla cream so I'm assuming that it'll be relatively painless, but I'm nervous about the flush and then the contrast - you know, like just making sure it works! I wish it was my infusion team needling in the first time but such is life... How will they know if it's... Working?

Crohn's :: 2007

Current Status: Lots of pain and not unable to work
Surgeries:
* 2007 & 2011 ~ Open Small bowel resections
* 2013 & 2014 ~ adhesion lyses and endometriosis cauterization

Current IBD Tx:
* Remicade IV every 6 wks
* Methotrexate injections weekly
* Zofran before every meal and bed
* Vit B-12 injections monthly

Because having Crohn's isn't enough...
Dx: Inflammatory Arthritis, Migraines, Endometriosis, Excessive Daytime Sleepiness, & Fibromyalgia
02-20-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

They draw blood from it to see if it's working. For myself I knew it was working when they pushed in saline and heparin as you could feel the saline and the heparin made me light headed. Although I'm sure your appointment is done by now. How did it go?
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
02-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
kristihelene

My Support Groups:
Thanks Jennifer! It went fine - i shouldn't have been so nervous!! I don't know if they drew blood or not because they told me to turn me head for infection purposes. I actually couldn't feel the saline or heparin at all which I thought was weird lol! I have remicade on March 4 which will be my first one since the port! I can always feel that!! So I'll be interested to see if it feels different thru the port!

02-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Glad it went well.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » First port access tomorrow