Share Facebook

02-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Akahana123

Remicade help

I'm 18 and have recently been diagnosed with crohns disease. MY doctor is suggesting Remicade, but my parents and I are worried about the side effects. Any advice? :/
02-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Honey
Forum Monitor

Hi there, and welcome,
I assume all other meds have been tried before Remicade was suggested. I did well on Remicade, inflammation went away down and I felt a lot better. You are in a hospital ward for about 4 hours, and on the infusion for 3. You are closely monitored, bloods taken each time. I went every 8 weeks.
However, I had to come off it after a year as I took a lung infection and was in hospital for a while. We are all individuals and respond as such. I note, on this site ,there are people who are on it for years and doing O.K.
So it is worth a try. It is usually only offered when all other treatment has failed. Good luck, let me know how you are. Best wishes.
02-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Akahana123

Hi there, and welcome,
I assume all other meds have been tried before Remicade was suggested.
My doctor wants me to start off with Remicade ( i have not had or been prescribed any other medications) is that bad?
02-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
No, it is not bad to be started off with a 'more serious' medication - some doctors follow what is known as a 'top down' approach - they take many factors into consideration with this, progression and severity of disease included.

I have been on Remicade since 2005, and any side effects have been ones that I feel are worth putting up with vs. letting the disease continue. So far I have not had any antibody-related issues, mine have been skin issues, did have pneumonia once but didn't go to the hospital for that....in fact, I have been generally HEALTHIER than the rest of my family.....

What symptoms have and do you have? Remicade is very good usually with peri-anal disease and fistulas - mine were taken care of within a month or two of starting Remicade....and I sure don't want them back!!!

Pleaes look around on the forum, you will find a TON of information, personal stories and experiences etc...and please don't feel shy about asking questions, that is what we are here for!

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.