• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade help

I'm 18 and have recently been diagnosed with crohns disease. MY doctor is suggesting Remicade, but my parents and I are worried about the side effects. Any advice? :/

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, and welcome,
I assume all other meds have been tried before Remicade was suggested. I did well on Remicade, inflammation went away down and I felt a lot better. You are in a hospital ward for about 4 hours, and on the infusion for 3. You are closely monitored, bloods taken each time. I went every 8 weeks.
However, I had to come off it after a year as I took a lung infection and was in hospital for a while. We are all individuals and respond as such. I note, on this site ,there are people who are on it for years and doing O.K.
So it is worth a try. It is usually only offered when all other treatment has failed. Good luck, let me know how you are. Best wishes.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
No, it is not bad to be started off with a 'more serious' medication - some doctors follow what is known as a 'top down' approach - they take many factors into consideration with this, progression and severity of disease included.

I have been on Remicade since 2005, and any side effects have been ones that I feel are worth putting up with vs. letting the disease continue. So far I have not had any antibody-related issues, mine have been skin issues, did have pneumonia once but didn't go to the hospital for that....in fact, I have been generally HEALTHIER than the rest of my family.....

What symptoms have and do you have? Remicade is very good usually with peri-anal disease and fistulas - mine were taken care of within a month or two of starting Remicade....and I sure don't want them back!!!

Pleaes look around on the forum, you will find a TON of information, personal stories and experiences etc...and please don't feel shy about asking questions, that is what we are here for!