• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I can't be the only one! 1st pregnancy and flaring.

Are these normal feelings?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 12. All the classic symptoms. Which as a teenager was hard. As I got older, now 26. I hadn't had a flare in almost 3 years and prided myself on being able to keep the stress down and a happy tummy. So when my fiancé got the news we were pregnant it was the least of our worries. I'm due April 7th. I work a very strenuous hands on job in a state facility with the intellectually disabled. I tried to stick it out. But, one night at work. I'm in the bathroom and first it was the smell then I seen the blood. And, I knew instantly I was having a flare. And medical leave here I come. Barely entering my 3rd trimester. When I went out. I received a lot of support in my decision. Even though being on disability has been a major stress in itself. But, here I am 7 weeks from the finish line and goodness am I exhausted. My body hurts between her growing, the flare, and the running to the bathroom with nothing on my stomach. I know I'm eating for two. I know this. But it's almost like people look at me now that I'm purposely looking at this plate of food and I just can't. I nibble, snack, and drink. And I swear I'm trying. But it's really not easy and constantly answering "why Are you not eating?" Is getting sooo old. I've been told to toughen up more times then I care to mention, told to get up and walk even though I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. Asked about my pain level then it be completely dismissed. I want nothing more to get her here healthy. And I wish I could explain how much I wish this was a pregnancy like everyone else's. Where I can't keep food from my mouth. But it's not man it's hard. I hate feeling like I just want my body back because just being able to take the prednisone is just not helping. That my flare which is located in my lower right quadrant is lucky lucky as the place where my already 5lbs mainly all limbs head down daughter likes to sit. Nothing but pressure and pain. But no one seems to understand how hard this is. So I thought I'd write and ask. Am I the only one?

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Ashiro
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to see you have not yet had a response from anyone.
I am quite sure you will not be the only one facing this problem and hopefully someone will appear on the forum to answer your question.
You have my heartfelt sympathy for all the trials you are going through as well as wanting your baby to be fine.
It can be very difficult with appetite loss to keep up witheverything---have you found some protein drinks that you could drink fast ?
Ensure comes to mind but there are plenty to choose from.
Pain is another issue which I feel is not well addressed for us and the GIs seem to leave us to cope on our own.Very difficult.
On the other hand I feel a preference for staying away from pain killers with such a long term illness and find a hot water bottle (s) in the right places can be helpful.
It might be different for you with the baby.
Hopefully the babe might change position and give you a break.
There is loads of information to be found in this forum, take a good look around and maybe there will be some answers for you.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha