• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Canasa and asacol

dave13

Forum Monitor
I would like some feedback on canasa and asacol. They would be less expensive for me than pentasa. My GI is trying to find the least expensive route to go and still stay in the same class of drug.I figure I'd put it out there and see what people think.Thanks

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
What information are you looking for? I've used all 3 of those before. Unfortunately, asacol was fairly expensive too in comparison to pentasa and canasa. I was on asacol for a few years until it stopped working for me (or my doctor thought it did). Sulfasalazine was the cheapest out of all of these and I was on that when I was first diagnosed till that stopped working. Biggest thing of all is to find what works for you though...

hi I've been on asacol for years that's all I take it 3 times a day I cannot take anything with sulfa

dave13

Forum Monitor
What information are you looking for? I've used all 3 of those before. Unfortunately, asacol was fairly expensive too in comparison to pentasa and canasa. I was on asacol for a few years until it stopped working for me (or my doctor thought it did). Sulfasalazine was the cheapest out of all of these and I was on that when I was first diagnosed till that stopped working. Biggest thing of all is to find what works for you though...
My GI called me tonight and we talked about asacol and pentasa.He feels pentasa would help me stay in remission.He feels asacol would not help me and would be akin to going it with no meds.He did say he would support me in whatever way I chose.Meds confuse me.