• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm A Crohn's Girl

My name is Jessica, I'm 17 a junior in high school. I was diagnosed with crohns when I was 11. I was having problems way before that though. Everyone just seemed to think I was either making up the pain or that I was constipated. Finally, my mom took me to emergency one day and they did lots of scans and blood tests all that. And they told me I have Crohn's. I was put on two major medications and two other ones that I can't remember the names of. The two major ones were prednisone and pentasa. A year later, I had a major flare up and went to emergency again.. They got me in a room, all hooked up to my buddy on wheels(the i.v thingy). They gave me some meds for the pain and got me a colonoscopy. They found I had a pretty nice blockage so I had to have a small intestine resection surgery. After the surgery, i turned 13, while still in the hospital , but got to go home later that week. And that's the sorta boring story of how I was diagnosed! After I returned to school, everyone had thought i either died or dropped out. Some of my classmates were glad to see me healthy again, and some were more cruel than they were before I got sick. i got so sick of everyone asking "you sure you can eat that?" "ew if you're gonna puke, get out of here." "Are you contagious??" and "Stop making stuff up." Honestly, most days I still wanna smash a gnome because of the stupid people who are allowed to roam free on this earth. Beware everyone, they walk among us. :ymad:
Outside of my medical life, I'm not that fascinating of a person... I go to high school, not the best grades(due to absences). I don't really have any friends, I'm just not very comfortable in social situations and i swear I tried to be all open and approachable. but I much rather being on my own. Hell, ive got so much drama already what do i need friends for! Anyways, along with that, I'm just very kind of introverted i guess. I've had my times with depression and I still do, its an on off thing and i'm working on it. Also I've had a couple boyfriend. One of them was pretty serious. But a relationship at 16, what was the chances of that working out. I have lots of family. I have hobbies(most of them involving netflix and my computer). I try not to let my crohn's take over but its hard. I'd be lying if i said it does not keep me from doing everyday things. When it gets bad once in a while, I'm really kind of limited to the things i can wear, eat, or do. But thats the life i guess.Anyways, yeah, thats my story.

afidz

Super Moderator
Thanks for sharing your story!
I was diagnosed right after high school, I was fortunate enough to evade the ignorance of kids who just don't have a clue. I am sorry that you have such a hard time. Luckily you are nearing the end of your high school life and hopefully you can put it all behind you sooner or later. You said you are 17, junior or senior?
Have you checked out the teen section on here yet? I have made a few really close friends on here that I can talk to about anything and everything with out being judged, it has really helped me cope with life with Crohn's. I think CCFA also has a page set up for teens with Crohn's, but I am not too sure to be honest, but I will try to find out for you and maybe some other resources.
What meds are you on now? Since your resection when you were 13 how have things been going?

Hi jaygirl96 my son is 14 almost 15 and has crohn's, he goes to camp Oasis every summer says it is the best thing ever, he has made some really good friends who just "get it" if you know what I mean. PM me if you would like to chat, snapchat, instagram, facebook, text, etc with someone who gets it and deals with those things as well.

Yeah haha kids kind of suck. And yes, I have heard about camp oasis, but i'll only be a kid for so long and this summer I gotta try and get a job and make up some classes for school. And okay so if i'm getting this right, i am not the only one who has scoliosis along with everything else..! Because just a few months ago i wasn't feeling too great so i went to the dr and got some xrays. And they found some surgical clamps still inside me.. which i'm told is normal??.. And also they saw that I have scoliosis.

afidz

Super Moderator
What do you mean by surgical clamps? When I get xrays they can see little pinpoint things in my abdomen from all my surgeries, maybe thats what you are talking about?
I have severe scoliosis. It typically develops in puberty as you grow, but I just found out about it about a year ago. You can get surgery to straighten your spine if it is a severe case, but most of the time they just recommend a back brace. I don't think there is correlation to the 2 disease though, not that I have heard of at least.