• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ive had Pancreatitis and septis 18 months apart and bowel problems

Hi Everyone

I was just looking for some advice. since having my little boy 4 years ago i have had bowel problems and upper tummy pains under my ribs, i dropped down from my normal weight of 9 stone to 7 and a half stone. i had tiredness, felt sick, either couldn't go toilet for weeks or had diarrhea. they did some blood tests and put it down to the stress of being a new mum.

Since then i have never been able to put on weight and 18months ago ended up in hospital for a week with pancreatits. they were never able to find the cause, i am not a drinker and had no gall stones so they put it down to a mystery virus. since then i have been still have problems with my bowels and stomach pains but they put this down to the pancreatitis and it would take my body a while to get back to normal.

Then in at the start of December i became very poorly and ended up in intensive care with sepsis. they could not find the cause so they put it down to viral meningitis although the lumbar and brain scan came back clear. i still have problems with my bowels now and it seems to be getting worse where its constant diarrhea and losing weight again, but once again its getting put down to the sepsis and the loss of my dad on Xmas eve and to see how i get on.

i am only 27 years old and have not felt well for 4 years now and i just don't seem to be taken seriously. in 18 months i have had 2 serious conditions all down to mysterious virus and constant bowel problems that dont seem to subside between. im getting really fed up now and feel like im bullied for being slim although i eat well and just feel ignored by doctors. i want to feel fit and healthy so i can do more with my little boy.

i would love any advice anyone has. thank you in advance.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello! welcome to the forum!

Im so sorry to hear of everything that you have been going through *hugs*. Im really glad that you have managed to find us, everyone here is very supportive and we will always take you seriously.

Have you seen the same doctor each time you have gone back? I'm just thinking that it might be time to ask to see someone else, at the very least, bloods should be repeated, losing weight can be a sign of stress and so can changing bowel habits, but not for 4 years and not to the extent that you describe. Do you know what blood tests the doctors did?

It seems strange that they didnt do more to find the cause of the sepsis, I would of thought it was something that needed as much investigation as it took, my step cousin had a similar story and was in intensive care for 5 days, she had every test the hospital could do, before finally finding crohns. I am not saying this is definitely what is happening to you, but i would think they need to look into it more.

It can be common for the hormonal changes during and after pregnancy and the stress attached to having a little one to trigger illnesses, but it is often not the direct cause of the symptoms.

I would encourage you to see a different doctor, and try to get some more blood tests and a stool test, also, i would want some imaging done at the very least. There is no guarantee this is IBD but there is no guarantee that it isnt either, therefore it needs looking into.

I can relate to being teased about your size, I was always called anorexic by others despite always being a good eater, I was always told to just think of it like this - having an ongoing illness is the best way to work out who your true friends are, the ones who aren't worth it will taunt you will throw stones into the wind from a mile away, the ones who are worth it, will form a circle around you, and shelter you from the storm.