• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Leaks

Hi I'm having problems with leaks at the mo but I'm struggling to find the reason.i don't leak in the same place,the only thing I've been doing differently is a fitness DVD and I was wondering if the flange is coming away after my skin being sweaty??does that sound possible? Hate worrying about leaks :(

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
It could be the sweat. But I've also a couple questions.
How long is the appliance lasting before leaking & what did it use to be?
What brand and are you using any sort of additional barrier paste/ring?

I used to keep a bag on for 2 days but now I change daily and sometimes its not lasting that long.i use salts convex one piece bags.i use barrier cream which wipe before putting bag on and a tiny bit of paste in a little dip in my skin(I don't always leak from there)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I'm not familiar with Salts, as far as I'm aware it's not available in Canada,but I looked it up to see what the flange was made from.

there are 2 things I would recommend trying.

1) I would try to tape the edges down, I would recommend getting a roll of Opsite Flexifix, it's identical to Tegaderm, but cheaper you should be able to order it online, I think Amazon carries. It's pricey for a roll, but the roll I had lasted a year. Not sure if you can get samples of this.

2)Hollister's Adapt Barrier rings #7806, these are incredibly thin and very wide, maybe 1 or so max (they look like this). In addition to your normal routine, cut a strip off of the ring and apply that to the appliance round the hole for your stoma. This will provide an additional barrier against leaks (possibly prolong for more than 2 days), because it's so thin it shouldn't interfere with the convex bag. Over here they come in packs of 10, I was able to get 7-8 strips off of each ring. You should be able to get samples of this.

nogutsnoglory

The barrier cream may be an issue with flange adherence. I would recommend using a belt when you work out certainly but maybe throughout the day to help keep things in place.

Thank you both for the advice :) I was wondering if a belt may help and I've just ordered samples of some tape so hopefully can sort this out as leaks make me feel down!

Just seen my stoma nurse and apparently because I've lost some weight (woohoo!) that could be the problem so I've got a belt and a couple of different bags to try so will see how they go :)

nogutsnoglory

Did the nurse give you a template cut out you can trace? Maybe your stoma got smaller due to weight loss. A belt may help, also look into coloplast flange extenders which help solidify the border.

She said the hole I've been cutting was fine and she did give me some sticky things not sure what make they are but will give them a go aswell,no way my bag will be leaking now lol

You got great advice from everyone else. I just wanted to add that another product I love is the Eakin seal. I believe it is manufactured by Convatec now (it used to be an independent company). It is an 'O' shaped piece of adhesive that you put around your stoma and then put the flange on top of it. It's soft and moldable- softer than the adhesive on the flange, but firmer than paste. The area around my stoma is no longer even due to having two stoma revision surgeries and this product has done wonders for me. I hope you can get this figured out.

Thank you but I have tried that sort of thing before and I would leak within the hour nothing went into the bag!hes awkward and points down slightly but cheers anyway :) I'm feeling snug with my new belt for now lol

My stoma points down too, so annoying! I found the hollister bags to stick much better than the other brands. You could always email them if you want a sample :)

nogutsnoglory

I think the stomas that protrude and stick down are the best but if it doesn't stick out and sticks down that's challenging.

Haven't tried hollister will have a look at their stuff now,I tried a convex dansac bag,didn't go we'll lol lasted about 2 hours.im now trying a welland convex bag and so far so good with it.i definitely like this belt though makes everything feel a lot more snug and I think it holds things closer to my tummy so its less visible with tighter tops on :)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I like Hollister, I find the cloth tape they use works well,although has a tendency to peel at the edges after a couple of days, but I generally tape down the edges anyway. The only time I use anyone else is the Colopast when I go on vacation, but that's only because the baseplate is rubber, and if the edge is taped down it creates and excellent seal waterproof seal for swimming and what not.

nogutsnoglory

It's important to give everything a fair try. First time coloplast fell right off and now I use it a lot. In the beginning everything is crazy. Convatec does not adhere to my abdomen so that's pretty much out for me without a belt.

So I'm still struggling with leaks and now have really sore skin too...the bags I have tried have been no better,I think the belt helps a little.i have phoned a few different companies for samples but apparently there is very few convex bags that come in a small size(I can't cope with bigger ones!)I will be seeing my stoma nurse at the end of the week but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions please?

nogutsnoglory

What's your size Kat? Ask them to send you ones that aren't precut so you can cut it to fit for you. You want to leave about an 1/8th of an inch so as not to squeeze the stoma but make it snug. Are you using a ring too?

I do cut them myself he's quite small I cut them to 20mm and I'm pretty sure the size is right,he points down so it just seems to seep under.i tried a ring a while ago but that made things worse :/

nogutsnoglory

If he is drooping convex and a belt may be necessary. Call your ostomy nurse and discuss issues with suppliers they can send things to try.

Salts confidence convex are the best bags I've ever used. I put a belt on really tight for a few hours after putting bag on but then it can come off?

Can your stoma nurse do a template for cutting? Mine did one and I'd been cutting mine too big - since I changed the hole size nothing gets underneath.

That's the bag I'm currently using I do love them but I just want something than can last abit longer,and it would be lovely to not have any leaks! I've been wearing a belt constantly for the last few weeks which I think has been helping.i will definitely make sure I'm cutting it right when I see her :) thanks