• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forum! It's long, but here's my story...

• Thread starter Veritas0Aequitas
  • Start date
V

Veritas0Aequitas

Hi all. I've been reading a lot of posts here for the past two days and I finally decided to join up and give my story, etc cause I have a LOT of questions! Here's my story:

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in July of '07 (Seven's are not lucky for me apparently!) after being stressed out with life and going to Vegas and drinking too much in 115 degree heat. I ended up in the hospital for about a month while the doctors tried to figure out what in Zeus' name was going on. 20 pounds lost later and after ruling out appendicitis and IB and after depriving me of food for way too long, two Barium tests and a colonoscopy they came up with Crohn's. I was put on 60 mg of Pred, Cipro, Flagyl, Azasan, and two different kinds of Oxy for the pain. I also took some liquid probiotics for about 3 months.

After I achieved remission (at least I think I did) I stayed on the Azasan until April of '08, thinking I didn't need the drugs (denial isn't just a river in Egypt) and hating the fact I was getting sick all the time. Well, after continuing to party like a college kid through Fall of '08 it was obvious I was flaring up due to fatigue and some night sweats. I was given another colonoscopy and an endoscopy finding that I was indeed flaring. Put back on 40mg of Pred and 4mg of Pentasa. I have finished 4 courses of Remicade now am at 2 mg of Pentasa and tapered off the Pred but I can tell I'm not in remission. I am taking about 1200 mg of Omega 3 High Concentrated Nordic Naturals fish oil, 25 mg of non-constipating Iron, 1000 IU Liquid D3, and liquid B12 supp.

I don't have any pain and never really have except when I landed in the hospital back in '07 but my fatigue level is still high and I just don't feel right. I honestly think the 3rd Remicade made me feel a lot better but I don't think it put me into remission and the Pentasa just doesn't seem like it's doing the trick. My GI is Dr. Lewey he thinks my Crohn's is about a 4 or 5 out of 10. I am scheduled to go see a diet doctor in August and I have in my hand a prescription for LDN. I am hoping it will work for me and wondering how long I should wait to start up since I just had a Remicade treatment Monday... If anyone knows hit me up!

About 5 months ago a friend of mine recommended a book called "The Paleo Diet" which is a very similar diet to the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet." Anyone heard it or following it? Didn't see anything of the forum. I have been attempting to follow it but I think because I'm not in remission I'm not absorbing the nutrients and the veggies and some fruits have been aggravating the Crohn's a bit. I have been making more shakes, eating dried fruit and steaming the veggies but I'm trying to lay off em a bit more. I still don't know what to do... I'm really confused and frustrated.

I am lactose intolerant, have a severe peanut allergy, nut and soy allergy. I have also been dealing with severe low back pain since the Summer of '06. I just graduated from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs with a BS in Business Marketing, love to play guitar in my band Elision, play hockey and follow my Avalanche like it's an organized religion.

I really want to figure out what works cause I just want to feel normal again. Seems like my next option is the LDN. Might as well give'r a shoty.

Again, I apologize for the length but that's what she said :ylol: ...I mean, thanks for reading!

Andrew

No need to apologize for the length. Hehe .. you should have seen mine! haha

Welcome! It's a good and crazy bunch of people here, but very friendly and welcoming. I understand the frustration, it seems everybody has that symptom! I too didn't have any pain and never knew I had this disease until I ended up in surgery. Welcome and hopefully you find answers and friendships along the way.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi VA - welcome to the forum!
Fruits and veggies bother me a lot when I am flaring too. You might want to lay off them a bit if you feel they are bothing you too. You might want to google low residue diet for fruit and veggie ideas. The ones listed there shouldn't aggravate your insides as much. I try to stick to them as much as I can while flaring.

V

Veritas0Aequitas

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the responses. I Googled "low residue diet" and found some good stuff. Apparently I need to avoid my dried fruit and berries :( Ah well, eventually.