• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Safe sex on immunosuppressive therapy

nogutsnoglory

I thought it would be interesting to discuss safe-sex practices and those on immunosuppressants or with compromised immune systems.

Single or partnered sex including oral/anal/vaginal involves body parts that are more prone to germs, fungus, bacteria etc. Even the cleanliest person still wears clothing that interfaces with the outside world and there bed sheets may also have unhealthy microorganisms lying around.

One can't be paranoid but I wonder what precautions we can take since we can't Lysol the people or wear bubble wrap. I suppose it wouldn't be unreasonable to Purell before sex and there is also the opportunity to use condoms or dental dams for oral sex, however most people would be very unhappy with that.

It's likely easier if you are partnered and can be open about these legitimate fears but either way id love to hear what people think are reasonable measures.

I can honestly say the thought has never crossed my mind. I get what your saying and your concerns but I believe we need some normallcy and if you start adding a procedure to sex where's the fun and what's the point. I have always just followed the same safe sex tips anyone would follow. Even being as sick as I am sometimes if someone pulled out a bottle or purell before sex I'd look at them like they just lost their mind.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I know this is in the GLBT section but one thing to note is that certain immune suppressing drugs can make birth control slightly less effective so it would be best to have a back up method. Every doctor I spoke to never heard of it except for one nurse but I never found any legit links to share for actual proof. The only proof I have in my own experience and reading other member's posts on the forum. Basically while on a pill like Junel for example, you're not supposed to have a period. When I started Humira, my period came back full force. I was later switched to Remicade, same thing happened. Same thing also happened with Methotrexate. Once I started back on 6MP I had some spotting in the beginning then nothing and now I have minor spotting for a day or so when I'm supposed to have my period if I weren't on birth control. I think these medications do more than just make some women bleed so it's very likely that the pill is less effective in preventing pregnancy. How much I don't know but if possible, use a back up method.

As for your question NGNG, maybe you could try to spice things up in the bath or shower and wash each other. Just a suggestion for the future.

nogutsnoglory

Jlm you are right that we need to try to be somewhat normal. This disease messed with our guts and our minds! I wouldn't freak out if someone asked me to Purell my hands before I get intimate. Even a healthy person shouldn't want to be exposed to all the crap we touch outside.

Jennifer I think it's an interesting point and certainly bi people could benefit from that knowledge if not partnered or they are to someone of opposite see but I'd imagine most LGBT people are pregnant if they have the express desire to have biological kids. It's a big world though and knowledge is power.

I definitely think a shower is a romantic and intimate activity that helps with this dilemma. You can't always bathe together but it's a nice option.

I'm thinking id Lysol their sheets when they weren't looking if I could haha. I'm paranoid but I have been through so much that I just can't have peace of mind anymore even where we should be most relaxed and enjoyed in life.

I am going to google about safe sex on immunosuppressants. I'm sure someone has touched on the topic and if I find anything useful I'll gladly share it.

theOcean

I know this is in the GLBT section but one thing to note is that certain immune suppressing drugs can make birth control slightly less effective so it would be best to have a back up method.
Although I know this isn't necessarily back-up, maybe considering an injected birth control would be more effective than one taken orally, since we wouldn't have to worry as much about absorption. I'm personally on depo provera, which is injected once every three months. I'm queer but my current SO is male, and I find I can't really use condoms because of sensitivity issues. They chafe. :(

I definitely wouldn't recommend unprotected sex over protected sex (well, unless you enjoy it), but that's the route I more or less have to go.