Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Super exited about this new coloplast product!

03-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
Super exited about this new coloplast product!

In case you guys haven't heard, Coloplast will be coming out with a new wafer/pouch in the next few months called Sensura Mio.

To be honest, I'm REALLY excited about this, as it aims to tackle so many issues that we've all faced, like pouch ballooning (totally redesigned filter), adhering issues, and comfort.

http://www.coloplast.ca/en-ca/produc...plenca/newmio/

I should be getting samples in May and I'll be sure to post a full review, but in case any of you guys wanted to try them for yourself, request samples from Coloplast and wait for them to arrive.

Anyone else excited about this??

https://www.veganostomy.ca
https://www.youtube.com/user/Veganostomy/
https://www.facebook.com/Veganostomy
https://www.twitter.com/VeganOstomy

03-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I saw this and really wanted to try but think it said samples in the summer.
03-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I saw this and really wanted to try but think it said samples in the summer.
They should be out early May (at least in Canada, anyways). I spoke with a rep today and she's going to get me samples as soon as they are available. If you can request them now, you'll be one of the first to try them out.

It's not every day you see new ostomy products, but this seems like a bigger deal than most other new products.
03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Yeah sounds very promising. Maybe it's an earlier release in Canada.
03-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Nyx

My Support Groups:
They actually had a Mio product out last year that I tried. Hated it...lol It was a one piece, non drainable pouch. I liked the flange part, was very flexible and thin, but a one piece that you can't drain?? I wasn't a fan of changing my bag every time I had a poop. Very inconvenient. This new one looks much better. I'll have to get on it and get some samples.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

03-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
They actually had a Mio product out last year that I tried. Hated it...lol It was a one piece, non drainable pouch. I liked the flange part, was very flexible and thin, but a one piece that you can't drain?? I wasn't a fan of changing my bag every time I had a poop. Very inconvenient. This new one looks much better. I'll have to get on it and get some samples.
Yeah, the original Mio product was quite different. I consider the new Mio to be more of an improvement over the Assura/Sensura line, which I already like very much.

In order of importance to me:

1) better filter (no need for the Osto Ez-vent if these work for me).
2) rotating pouch (so I can wear my stealth belt).
3) better adhesive (not only more flexible, but it apparently sticks to "problem skin" like scars). This could eliminate the use of wafer extender tapes and could also help with the current problem I'm having, where the edge of the wafer "cuts" into the skin when I bend.

The fact that the material is apparently way more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing is a bonus.

These apparently won't cost more than the current Sensura products.
03-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Exciting!!!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
03-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
VO coloplast already has rotating pouches that fit in a stealth belt.
03-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
VO coloplast already has rotating pouches that fit in a stealth belt.
Yes, I already use the Sensura click, but if this new Mio product had only an adhesive coupling, then I'd likely pass on the idea, since I prefer to use my stealth belt. Fortunately, there is a similar rotate and lock coupling on these, which is why I'm counting the days until this product is available. Hoping that it works!
03-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
ECU_Drummer

I'm really looking forward to the new Mio products, I did some reading up on them this past weekend.

Vegan, would you mind sharing more info about the setup you use for your stealth belt? I plan on ordering a stealth belt in the next few days and I hear the ability to rotate the bag makes it much easier to negotiate.

Check out my blog! http://blastoffcrohns.blogspot.com/

ECU class of 2012, Business Administration
"The door will open when we realize we don't hold the key" -Memphis May Fire

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28
03-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
Vegan, would you mind sharing more info about the setup you use for your stealth belt? I plan on ordering a stealth belt in the next few days and I hear the ability to rotate the bag makes it much easier to negotiate.
I currently use the Coloplast Sensura Click Xpro wafer and the Sensura click pouches (either transparent or opaque... whatever is on hand). I use osto ez-vents on the pouches, but that's optional (but recommended if pouch gas is an issue).

The Sensura click locks into place, so there's no chance of it popping off unless you unlock it and remove it. It easily rotates, but you should make sure your pouch is empty before doing so - it only took one accident for me to realize this.

One thing to note, the Colplast Asura and Sensura click products are interchangeable. I've use Asura extended wear wafers with Sensura pouches and Asura pouches with the Sensura Xpro wafer.

Of course, depending on how much I like the new Sensura Mio, I may not be using this setup for long

And if you're ordering a Stealth Belt, take note of whether you are underweight now or intend on gaining more weight in the near future. I ordered my belt when I was underweight and if I gain anymore, I'm going to have to get one size up. I hadn't anticipated this, but it's still quite comfortable.

Hope that helps.
03-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I got the new Mio one-piece drainable in the mail on Saturday. I haven't tried it out yet, but they really are different from anything else I've seen before.
03-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I got the new Mio one-piece drainable in the mail on Saturday. I haven't tried it out yet, but they really are different from anything else I've seen before.
I'll be meeting with coloplast tomorrow to arrange to try their two-piece!

I'm so looking forward to these. Let us know how the one-piece is.
03-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
No fair! I got something in the mail saying I can try a sample in the summer!
03-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
No fair! I got something in the mail saying I can try a sample in the summer!
Contact Coloplast and see if they can get you on a special program to try these before the official launch. The worst they can say is "we can't". They should be officially available in May.
03-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #16
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I just registered for a sample, I'm unsure if I'll still have a stoma when it arrives though.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

03-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I just registered for a sample, I'm unsure if I'll still have a stoma when it arrives though.
Are you having a take down in the next two months?
03-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #18
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I was supposed to have my surgery 2 weeks ago. However, they needed the slot for someone with cancer, as such they are trying to find me a new date and I'm "on call" in case there is a cancellation. It could be in June, it could be on Friday.
If I get my surgery before it arrives, it'll get bundled up with the leftover pastes & powders and I find it a new home.
03-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #19
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I was supposed to have my surgery 2 weeks ago. However, they needed the slot for someone with cancer, as such they are trying to find me a new date and I'm "on call" in case there is a cancellation. It could be in June, it could be on Friday.
If I get my surgery before it arrives, it'll get bundled up with the leftover pastes & powders and I find it a new home.
Good luck... whenever it happens

03-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I met with some reps from Coloplast during an "ostomy day" event at a local medical supply store. The new Sensura Mio line looks fantastic. So many well thought of features!

I'll be providing them with feedback through an ET nurse and plan on having a full (very thorough) review done by the beginning of May (when they officially launch). I'll hopefully start using this product next week.
03-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Sounds good...I put my request in for samples.
03-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #22
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I am gonna definitely call and ask for a sample. I am content with my arrangement but still have issues so it would be nice to find something better.
03-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #23
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I met with some reps from Coloplast during an "ostomy day" event at a local medical supply store. The new Sensura Mio line looks fantastic. So many well thought of features!

I'll be providing them with feedback through an ET nurse and plan on having a full (very thorough) review done by the beginning of May (when they officially launch). I'll hopefully start using this product next week.
Are you part of Ostomy Toronto? I saw a post about it on Facebook today, and everyone had good things to say about the samples they saw at the meeting tonight.
03-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #24
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
Are you part of Ostomy Toronto? I saw a post about it on Facebook today, and everyone had good things to say about the samples they saw at the meeting tonight.
No, I'm not part of Ostomy Toronto (yet, anyways). I did meet Jason and a few other people from the group today. Great bunch of people.
04-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #25
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
So I received some one-piece samples yesterday and I put one on right away. This is an extremely well thought out product - so many little things you discover and go "wow, great idea".

I do want the two-piece system, but the one-piece has been good so far... we'll see what kind of wear time I get with them.
04-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I always had a long wear time with Coloplast, they'd easily go a week without failing if I could get them to attach properly. The problem I had was always with the application, the rubbery plate was generally always too stiff to conform to my body, so they would always bunch and fold.
I hope it arrives before surgery not that'll have any invested interest in the future, but after having spent a few years with this thing, I'll be disappointed if I don't get to try it.
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #27
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I always had a long wear time with Coloplast, they'd easily go a week without failing if I could get them to attach properly. The problem I had was always with the application, the rubbery plate was generally always too stiff to conform to my body, so they would always bunch and fold.
I hope it arrives before surgery not that'll have any invested interest in the future, but after having spent a few years with this thing, I'll be disappointed if I don't get to try it.
Yes, the stiff baseplate is an issue for me too and I've had to put Opsite Flexifix tape down UNDER the bottom of my regular wafer or else it would start cutting the skin.

These new Sensura Mio's are very flexible and conform nicely to curves. Feels way more comfortable than the Sensura Xpro or Assura wafers.

I was getting 5+ day wear with either Xpro or Asura wafers,but they've gone down to 3 days max over the past few months. If I can get at least 3 days with these, then I'll be quite happy.

Right now, I have doubts about how well these new wafers will stand up to getting wet (i.e shower), so I may continue to cover it during showers until I know how well it holds without the extra variable of water.

One really cool thing they've added to these is that you can fold in the outlet the usual way at the bottom OR you can velcro it to the middle of the pouch so it's more compact (i.e. for sexy time, driving, etc.).
04-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm really eager to hear about the filter and whether it's good for eliminating gas. I got my one piece samples but I'm eager to try the two piece. I feel like I can never cut the one piece to fit normally since my stoma is a weird shape and angle.
04-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #29
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
I'm really eager to hear about the filter and whether it's good for eliminating gas. I got my one piece samples but I'm eager to try the two piece. I feel like I can never cut the one piece to fit normally since my stoma is a weird shape and angle.
For what it's worth, I had no ballooning last night at all - it was quite a refreshing thing to wake up to! We'll see how many days I can get before it clogs - my output is thick, so that could make a big difference. Perhaps I'll sacrifice one pouch and fill it with liquid for the sake of science
04-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #30
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I notice the original advertisement mentioned the special filter and gas fighting powers but now it's just about the material on the bag and the better mold to the body that is the big sell. Anyways, I just put my sample on. I didn't feel too secure so I put my extender ring to protect the barrier. I have a feeling I may wake up in poo. Interesting product but I'll need to test it with the 2 piece before switching over.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Super exited about this new coloplast product!