• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma and skin separation

nogutsnoglory

For a couple of weeks my stoma and part of the skin are separated. It's like a little red river. It bleeds easily but I keep it clean and add paste and powder.

I tried neosporin and other creams and barriers but it won't close up. Should I be concerned? It doesn't hurt I just don't want to create a problem with an open wound that won't heal.

I had skin (mucocutaneous) separation after having my Stoma. It was absolutely excruciating pain though, so much so that I was readmitted to hospital for a night.

My Stoma nurse suggested using ConvaTec orabase paste in the gap, then a hollister adapt barrier ring over the top, which was brilliant, it granulated up within a couple of weeks.

I hope you find something that works for you!

nogutsnoglory

Thank you. It's just odd that it's happening months after surgery. I use rings not adapt but Montreal ostomy. I'll google the paste and see about ordering that.

Ditch the Neosporin. Not only is there little proof that it does anything for wounds that plain petroleum jelly doesn't, the antibiotics in it can harm the skin after repeated use.

I had the same problem, but it was right after surgery. An ostomy nurse dressed the wound with an alginate (seaweed-based) dressing that I could apply the bag over. Do you have an ostomy nurse that you could call for an opinion?

Good luck xx