• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I?

Hey every one!

I'm a 23 year old guy with Crohn's disease and my doctor has recently advised I start with humira, home injections.

The thing is that I am completely healthy. I have not had any problems or pain in three years, knock on wood.

I am currently on two medicins who in Sweden, maybe its the same name every where. Is called Pentasa and Imurel.

I do have some inflammation activity according to my test but nothing that I notice.

The reason for the humira my doctor says is to prevent future illness. To fight my disease to such a degree that it hopefully won't surface in the future.

What do you guys think? Should I take the Humira even though I am completely healthy right now.

The side effects are a bit scary when you read them but then again side effects always are.

What do you think?

nogutsnoglory

Personally I would look to your history with the illness as an indicator. If you can avoid the heavy duty drugs I would. If you are likely to have a lot of inflammation and scar tissue leading to surgery than absolutely you need to play offensive.

I agree, if you don't have active inflammation that is doing damage to your intestines, then I wouldn't if I were you. But if you do have active inflammation that isn't being kept under control w/ your current meds, then it might be a good idea.