• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6MP and lymphoma?

Hi,
My daughter was diagnosed with Crohns disease about a year ago. She was put on 6MP for 10 months but had to stop about 3 months ago,because her WBC went too low. She's now on Pentasa. She developed lymph nodes on the right side of her neck about 6 weeks ago which I think could possibly be lymphoma from the 6MP. She has had two episodes of fever since the lymph nodes. Does she see her GI or primary care doctor to diagnose and treat her for this? I'm always confused who to see for what and who is responsible for treating her.
I'm so worried. Appreciate your advice.

kiny

Swolling lymph nodes can mean many things, take her to a hospital and ask a doctor. They will be able to take an ultrasound and biopsy of them if needed. It is often just the result of an infection, often minor.

A regular doctor has very few tools to diagnose a swollen lymph node, touch isn't a reliable way to determine what the cause is, although the shape of the node and if it's hard or soft gives them some indication.

A GI can't diagnose a swollen lymph node, but they will be able to ask for an ultrasound or biopsy and contact people who can.

kiny

I don't live in the US so I don't know what a primary care doctor is, I'm sorry. Anyone in a hospital setting works.

You could let the GI know what is going on and then schedule with the primary care doc. Kiny is right there are a lot of reasons a lymph node could be swollen. In fact when my son has been in a CD flare his lymph nodes will swell also if he runs fever his lymph nodes swell. Just share your concerns with the PCP and he'll be able to order any tests deemed necessary.

Last edited:
In fact when my son has been in a CD flare his lymph nodes will swell also if he runs fever his lymph nodes swell.
Hi Clash,
When your son goes into a CD flare, how long do his lymph nodes swell and are they localized or in many places? How do they feel or look? Does he ever get them in his neck? My daughter has hers on the right side, I think maybe her anterior cervical nodes.
Thanks

His swell in his neck, right side and right under chin. It has been awhile since they have swollen with a flare. They also swell during allergy season when his allergies are bad. I can't recal how they felt but we had the GP check them and he was not concerned. My son, since he does deal with allergies, picks up on what he feels is normal so if he didn't feel it was a normal feeling then he would tell me.

Hi my Grace's will swell before an illness and still take as couple weeks after illness to go away.

I hope you pc will give you answers.