Share Facebook

03-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
Imuran allergy

Today I was prescribed azathioprine for my Crohn's, I was informed about the risks involving cancer and immunosuppression but he left out the fact the allergy to it is fairly common. Afterwards when I was talking to my mother she revealed that she had the allergic reaction herself. Reading revealed that the intolerance can be passed down so now I'm wondering if I should ask for bloodwork on the allergy to be done before I start it.
03-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Linda60

My Support Groups:
Today I was prescribed azathioprine for my Crohn's, I was informed about the risks involving cancer and immunosuppression but he left out the fact the allergy to it is fairly common. Afterwards when I was talking to my mother she revealed that she had the allergic reaction herself. Reading revealed that the intolerance can be passed down so now I'm wondering if I should ask for bloodwork on the allergy to be done before I start it.
I had blood test prior to taking Imuran, however I do not know about an allergic reaction. I have been taking 150mg daily for over 2 years with no side effects. My doctor does blood work every 3 months. Hope this helps some.
03-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
What type of allergic reaction are you talking about? It never hurts to ask especially if there is immediate family history of allergic reaction to a particular medication.

the blood work Orchid is referring to involves a TPMT test which will determine how well your body will accept or reject the medication with regards to it being an effective form of treatment. It is not a definitive indicator of side effects, just tells you the likelihood that your liver and pancreas will become damaged from this particular treatment. This is a test that should absolutely be done before you start the medication. It will help you and your doctor know the best way to begin treating you with this medication and not risk complications.

If your doctor doesn't seem to think anything is of concern take some comfort that this medication is not like steroids. you don't have to be weaned off of it you can stop it immediately if any allergic reactions occur.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

03-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
I got my TPMT related bloodwork back and it was a whooping 7eu/ml. As a result I won't be touching Imuran.