• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entocort verses steroids

Hi, I am Linda. Have had Crohn's for over 25 years. My GI doctor has ordered Entocort EC. I have terrible side effects with Prednisone and wanted to know others experience with this drug. My copay for a month supply will be $306.00
Any advice?

nogutsnoglory

Entocort is a steroid but it isn't released in the body the same way as prednisone and has less side effects. Entocort has helped me with acute flares in the small intestine.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, first off, welcome to the forum

I have taken both pred and entocort. Prednisolone is a systemic steroid, so it treats inflammation anywhere in the body, which is why it has such a wide range of side effects. Entocorts is also a steroid, but it only treats inflammation in the intestines, so it generally has fewer side effects, but it is thought to be less effective at treating inflammation in the deeper layers of the bowel wall. Also, entocort will generally take a couple of weeks to start working to a level where you feel the benefit, so it is important not to get disheartened if you do not get the instant relief that many report in the first few days with pred.

I live in Wales in the UK and my medication is free, so I cannot help with costs, but i'm sure someone who can will be along soon.

Hi,
I've had colitis for over 20 years and just started taking Entocort. I didn't want to continue taking prednisone with all the side effects . I am curious if it is strong enough of a medication to be able to put me into a remission . Otherwise my next step is Remicade .