• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forums but not to crohns.

Hello

Im not sure where to start or even if i should. My experience with crohns was with my sister and dad they both had crohns when i was still in high school. My sister unfortunately died at the age of 19 in 1999 due to an adverse reaction to azathioprine.

My fathers condition just seemed to get worse and he went through many operations that left him with small bowl syndrome and a very large high output fistula.

After a year of hell and having to be on T.P.N for nourishment he found about pioneering surgery and ended up down in oxford where he received a small bowel and abdominal wall transplant.

He is now doing better than ever and everything went very well for him.

During this time i had been to the doctor on many times complaining to stomach problems. Each time to be given omeprasol. Around 7 weeks ago i was experiencing sever pain. I waited a week then visited the gp. He thought i damaged my muscles at the gym. I had to return a week later still experiencing extreme pain. The GP sent me straight to the hospital claiming i had appendicitis. I arrived at the hospital got some test then was told i have possible advanced crohns and a pelvic abscess and will need to go in to surgery. I got a Laparotomy and a Right Hemicolectomy. Its been a fear filled journey at times but 4 weeks on and im feeling pretty good.

I had a meeting yesterday to discuss further tests to find out if i can use azathioprine. Im weary due to my sisters death but will try anything in hope this does not return.

Not sure if that all makes sense. Im not usually a active forum user but i think we can all learn from similar experiences.

Ally

For got my question what are peoples experiences with azathioprine? Also what length of time after surgery did you start exercising ?

thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum sorry about your sister. I am not to familiar with azathioprine hopefully someone will come along that can tell you about their experience make sure to check out the treatment subforum there is lots of information on there.
As afar as surgery hubby said after his first surgery it took him about 3 months before he could start working out again then after his resection about 8 -10 weeks. Hope you get to feeling better soon.