Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Finally have a surgery date.

03-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
Finally have a surgery date.

May 7th.

I've had my stoma for a few years, I had planned on keeping it for awhile, but I've a few hernias that tend to put me in the hospital on a regular basis, so I'm getting reconnected.

Originally this was supposed to happen 3 weeks ago, However I got a call from the surgeon's office saying that they needed the spot for someone with cancer. I can't really get mad at that.

I never named it beyond calling it "that bit of small intestine that is outside of my body". I just hope I can scrounge enough of my dwindling supplies to last the next 6 weeks.

I've already informed my parents that I am not going there to recover, as such my mom is coming here for a few days, I'm unsure how I feel about that.

I'm unsure on how to refer to this surgery, I've always referred to the colectomy as my "disembowelling", I need to figure something out.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

03-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

I hope it all goes well! I had a "reversal" last year, wish I'd thought of a more exciting name for it now!

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
03-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I'm slightly worried about complications, on account of me being what medical professionals refer at as "tubby" and everything i'm good it isn't so much a skill as it is a vice (I'm really good at smoking)
I'm almost done quitting smoking (down from a pack to 2 cigarettes a day). I spent 3 weeks on Optifast, and am in the starting stages of a weight loss diet, that is almost certain to be unsustainable in the long term, and would possibly dangerous if it was done for longer than the 1.5 months I have until surgery.

I've not noticed any weight loss (because I see myself several times a day), but I've had a few people comment about it.
03-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Good luck with your surgery (your re-embowellment?? lol) and your other endeavours. Myself, I'm pretty good at drinking. Again, likely not a good thing, but we all have to be good at something

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

03-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

I'm not the best person to comment on complications following "re-embowellment" ( I like that Nyx!) I'm really glad I had it done, I was just very very unlucky after my op, even though I'm good and don't drink or smoke!

Keep up the good work with the not smoking and diet though!!

03-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
At this point I'm thinking "revisceration".

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Finally have a surgery date.