• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pencil-like poo?

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Two embarrassing posts on the same day... :depressed:

I'm going through a bad time right now. I would call it a flare, but I haven't even yet been in remission since it all began a year ago (officially).

I'm having alternating bm's - sand-like and pencil-thin.

I posted already about the sandy poo, but does anyone know or have any experience with the really thin kind?

ANY help or suggestions are welcome.

T

thewarrior

I have "cat turds" too. Haven't hard a normal thickness poo in years.

Last time I had cat turds was before my surgery, when I didn't even think anything about them, I just thought they were funny actually. If i had to guess, I'd think it was related to the inflammation or maybe even some blockage so the poop gets thin to go through it. My educated guess.

I would think that a really skinnt poo would have something to do with an obstruction, or narrowing...especially if it's formed...that's just a wild guess though...never really had a pencil poo before. haha.

T

thewarrior

daisy_dueller said:
never really had a pencil poo before. haha.
Are you in remission, or have your stools always been well formed even during a flare up?

Since I started Pentasa, Cipro, and Flygl....i've had 100% skinny poo. Not quite pencil skinny, but close. Sounds like what you are seeing.

On a positive note, at least it doesn't hurt coming out!

I wonder if the skinny poo is caused by an obstruction as daisy_dueller mentioned?

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Good question about an obstruction... I get my c-oscopy results next week. I'll ask then.
It's thinner than a cat turd. But yeah, thankfully it doesn't hurt! :)

This thread has made me realize something...I HAVE CAT TURDS! If it *is* "formed", it's definitely cat turd-ish and thin. Ha, I wonder if my GI would give me a funny look if I used that description... ;0)

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
Skinny and pale poos. This is somethng that happens to me too. I think the last time I saw a normal poo was 3 years ago.

Yep. I've been having skinny poos too. I like the cat turds description. One thing I've noticed though...the later in the day it is, the skinnier my poo. If it's in the morning, it's like the thickness of my thumb, by afternoon, it's like my pinky. Anyone else notice this?