Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Crohns disease

03-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
trashoken

My Support Groups:
Crohns disease

Hi I was rushed into hospital in March 2013 and was diagnosed with Crohns and Ulcerative Colitis. I had an emergency ileostomy and was left with a double barrelled stoma. I was left on the steroid prednisone for 6 months longer than necessary which left me with anxiety and depression. I have been seeing a councillor and have started to get better, but it has left me with a fear of taking tablets and now my muscles in my arms and legs are really painful, and my hands and feet cramp.
Has anyone else suffered these symptoms.
04-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
dramaqueen

Hello there,
I have suffered with anxiety and depression with Crohn's and the prednisone certainly had a negative impact. I found that after a few months once I had been taken off it, the mental and emotional intensity reduced, I think it takes a while to get out of the system and for your poor brain to recover. With Crohn's our chemicals inside of our bodies are always fluctuating, we are pretty unbalanced! We need to give ourselves more time to settle. It is difficult to keep taking the tablets, especially if you associate them with a negative effect. I hope the councillor is helping, and that once you are on a better medication for your body, your mind will adapt and accept the tablets.
Best of luck x
04-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
trashoken

My Support Groups:
Hi Dramaqueen,

Thanks for your comments, the councilling has worked very well, for the most part mentally l feel much better, but every now and then I get knocked back again hence the tablet problem, but you have to pick self up and start again, but at least now I don't think I'm going mad.
04-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Allison M
Woo, I know how you felt! I started Zoloft a couple of weeks ago, and I feel better, but still have free floating anxiety, sometimes. I hope things improve for both of us!
Rectal Prolapse Feb 2013 with repair and removal
Pancolitis multiple times before diagnosis
Stricture and resection after prolapse May 2013
Current Meds: Prednisone, probiotics, 2 b/p meds, MV, Zoloft
Past meds: Prednisone, Flagyll and antibiotics (?)

[/SIGPIC]
04-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
trashoken

My Support Groups:
I to hope things get better for both of us, I can't remember what it was like not to have anxiety and depression. Sometimes I have to remind myself that most of the feelings and thoughts I have are normal ones.
04-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
dramaqueen

Well done to you, it's never easy, and always feels it's far easier/quicker to fall down a dark hole than climbing up to a better place. And you're definitely not mad! It's great, the more people you talk to, the more you realise you're not alone x
04-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
trashoken

My Support Groups:
I agree that the more people you talk to the less alone you feel and I hope that they do to. I also hope that sufferers that take all these medications look at the side effects, even though sometimes it can be a bit frightening, if you know what you could be facing, it makes it less scary and you can also deal with it sooner.
04-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
Axelfl3333

I can relate to the cramp thing very painful and annoying my clinic nurse made a suggestion which has helped with it,take your tablets with Indian tonic water make sure it's a decent quality one with quinine in it,helps with cramp.
04-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
trashoken

My Support Groups:
I can relate to the cramp thing very painful and annoying my clinic nurse made a suggestion which has helped with it,take your tablets with Indian tonic water make sure it's a decent quality one with quinine in it,helps with cramp.
Thanks for the suggestion I will try that and let you know how I get on. You haven't got any tips on how to deal with blocked sinuses because they are driving me nuts at the moment.
04-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Axelfl3333

Steam with a tiny menthol crystal helps just make sure it is a tiny piece you put in the water otherwise you,ll look like you,ve been Maced.
04-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
trashoken

My Support Groups:
Steam with a tiny menthol crystal helps just make sure it is a tiny piece you put in the water otherwise you,ll look like you,ve been Maced.
Thanks for your help, can you tell me where I can get these menthol crystals.
04-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Axelfl3333

Boots the chemist.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Crohns disease